• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

66 122 - The car I shouldnt keep but like too much

Jack

junkman
I dragged home another car.
My first 122. 1966 b18 m40 car. Respray paint but seems to be holding on well and one color for the most part. Car has almost no rust. It sat for 5-8 years depending what story I want to go with from the PO

poured some gas into the carb and it started up on the second try.

so far
I got "new" wheels and tires from Luke
locking gas cap, filler neck seal, wiper blades, radiator cap and rear reflector from HiPerformance Auto
changed oil (delo 15-40) and filter
replaced clutch slave from IPD
adjusted valves and added a cork gasket
I drained the old gas - no rust inside the tank - thankfully

Drove it today for about 3 miles
high on the priority is to replace the exhaust - its all original and I only like the CO2 smell so much inside the cab
one of the steering arm links is bent

fDb1QpJh.jpg

1MPJZtQh.jpg

GKchLFYh.jpg

someone added a period correct hazard switch - the red lights up when hazards are on
IMG_1068_zpssigdnzh0.jpg

IMG_1057_zpshhvkq6ex.jpg

wSdHM8ch.jpg

iqmk85ih.jpg

ftf73cTh.jpg

NCnrOz5h.jpg

IMG_1070_zpsy1sbujbx.jpg

I also picked this up 65 122 from the local yard
BK3R6m7h.jpg

Last edited:
Nice score(s). Do you plan to make them both run or is one a parts car?

That hazard switch might just be an original Volvo accessory.

HazardSwitch.jpg

new cat showed up at my house today... I woke up and she was just chilling next to me...

fAVntJ6h.jpg

I decided to clean out the interior a bit today and see the rust damage on the floor boards. It's a lot better then I expected, mostly surface rust with few holes. Should be fun to patch these. (pictures make it look worse then it actually is)

Soaking the parts in Krud-Kutter
Can someone tell me if the plastic parts were polished when new or were they always matt?
6Asm539h.jpg

before cleaning
WE66N7Uh.jpg

aFNwPdNh.jpg

took out the crusty floor matt and started to peal off the sound deadening
IMG_1104_zpswlmtfa7l.jpg

driver rear - has the worst rust. All the water would trapped under the floor matt and eventually found its way out. Thanks OBAMA
wa6EmAih.jpg

passenger rear
j4ok6fn.jpg

nothing like a wet dog smell, though I bet I just replaced that with wet horse smell. I will be removing the seatbelts and pressure washing them. One of the belts has a '68 date stamped on it, I bet a dog chewed up the original.

FkVl9S3h.jpg

Quick pressure washing to remove all the grime before I get in there to remove the rest of the sound deadening

uXKuR6lh.jpg

after pressure washing the dog out

VVnrTDUh.jpg

Im on the fence about the sound deadening material. The choice is between Lowe's Chepo roofing Peal n Seal
or Dynamat. I have used both before, of course the dynamat is the way to go but expensive.... But Peal-n-Seal would be better then factory or nothing even...
what do you think ?

Last edited:
Id just throw the 240 sound deadener in there. They always rust in that back floor pan.
Those rubber floor mats never let the car breath so they rust. Cat.
Use some #0000s steel wool on those chromepieces. Spraying some wd40 on there helps as well or after your done and wiping it off keep it nice for awhile.

Id just throw the 240 sound deadener in there. They always rust in that back floor pan.
Those rubber floor mats never let the car breath so they rust. Cat.
Use some #0000s steel wool on those chromepieces. Spraying some wd40 on there helps as well or after your done and wiping it off keep it nice for awhile.

Steel wool or #1000 gold scotch brite will put a fine scratch on it, I'd use metal polish or if it's chromed steel and there's rust poking through I'd rub it ever so gently with a stainless steel pot scrubber.

Steel wool or #1000 gold scotch brite will put a fine scratch on it, I'd use metal polish or if it's chromed steel and there's rust poking through I'd rub it ever so gently with a stainless steel pot scrubber.
IDK 0000 works good for me

awesome looking project, congrats!

thank you, you should buy it

Company called FatMat works great!

I already have a bunch of Dynamat and loved it on my 245 but like said both are expensive and PNS is cheap but not as effective - anything is better then no deadening

decided to polish my knobs ;-) and repaint the lettering on switch plates

before
TedYsOVh.jpg

1/2 done
VV9Xe8hh.jpg

with the lettering you have to cake on the paint, wait for it to dry and rub off the excess
FuDyq6Gh.jpg

could be better but I'm done with these
WKYAz6Xh.jpg

Last edited:
just small updates but very time consuming

polished one tail light and surround. Left the other one alone since it's broken. I wont install this one until I get new tail light gaskets from Eric
ezWkniQh.jpg

wUFgDQFh.jpg

4TpxXthh.jpg

someone tell me if that much gap on top and bottom grille is normal or what the story might be
9YOBioXh.jpg

Decided to take the bumper off to tighten, straighten and clean it up. The driver side override was loose and would rattle all the time. It took a lot longer then it should have, bolts inside the overrides were unreachable so I cut them off and welded a bolt inside the bracket. Took me forever to get it back on since I had to loosen up the bumper brackets and then try to realign them. I also installed a late model license bracket to center the plate.

before
KVfKwo6h.jpg

after
BBD4H0yh.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the bolt welded inside this bracket. I also had to hammer it flat before that.
sSzr6PDh.jpg

1Af3yUeh.jpg

Last edited:
The gap at the top and bottom of the grille is a result of the center bar being pushed in. It's also why there's a gap between the hood and front panel.

This is how it should look.

122_77.jpg

Thanks for fixing the license plate. It's a pet peeve of mine. They're either too high or too low without the bracket and just don't look right.

^ but nothing on the front panel is bent or damaged? It appears to be bent in pictures maybe but I checked and it's just a respray

I mounted the plate low also but to me it was also just a dumb. I did it for you Ian, you welcome

JV8a4O4h.jpg

What did you use to polish the knob?
That came out looking good.

Thank you. Just metal polishing compound on a buffing wheel, blue stuff called Blue Magic Metal Polishing Cream found just about everywhere. If I would have spent more time it would look brand new.... maybe when the rest of the interrior is done I'll go back

Last edited:
turns out my 122 has been out at night banging the local "ladies" and bringing them home

craigslist add
Selling my 63 volvo wagon and all my spare parts. 2 extra parts cars, engines, transmissions, overdrive, doors, fenders, hoods, trunklids, boxes of emblems, switches. Ect. More than enough here to make a solid car with. Just don't have time to do it myself. Too many projects

I just came back with all the "loose parts." Im going back for the cars next weekend

62 wagon - clean title, pink in hand but the previous owner never got it registered from the pre previous owner - signed 2012

the other two are coupes with no title but havent been registered in over 10 years. I need to write up a "statement of facts" for the dmv

pictures to come when I drag them home.... BTW all but wagon will be for sale

will probably keep the wagon - needs passenger side floor- its been cut out
00202_jgyQMYJaBp0_600x450.jpg

00y0y_lstPrYRvA5F_600x450.jpg

no engine - and trans tunnel has been cut out - very little rust in the floor
driver door is fubar - but came with 4 extra ones
00r0r_fv4aK9RBVik_600x450.jpg

this one has an efi b20 in it - no rust even in floors
00k0k_jedZUZcl0hz_600x450.jpg

00y0y_lstPrYRvA5F_600x450.jpg

Back