• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MistrThou's try at a +t 93 240

MistrThou

Masked Moogle
So I thought I'd finally try my hand at making a long term project thread for my 93 240. I've made some progress in the last week since Buzz showed up.

Here she is the day I got it.

DSCF2757.jpg

A link to my old showroom thread on it is here.

It's in rememberance to my old 91 940 turbo that got rear ended.
Thread for that is here.

Some background on the car:
Bought it on a craigslist find. I had seen the car on for about a day. Called the guy up, told uhaul I was towing a CR-X, and got a tow dollie. Drove about an hour and a half to the guys place. They had 2 other 240s and a FWD sitting there as well. I was able to jump the battery and get the engine to crank, but it didn't fire. Then I decided to pay the 500 bucks for a non-running car (had sat over a year) and they seemed to not be able to find the title. :roll: I towed it home that night anyway and arranged to meet them the next day to grab the title. I'm glad that all worked out ok. :grrr:
I had to armstrong the car backwards onto the tow dolly because the parking brakes were completely frozen up. Getting it off at home involved a new toyota.

I cleaned up and replaced the rear brakes, added fuel, replaced the battery, jumped the fuel pump relay and was able to get it to move under its own power.

Guy said it needed a clutch. It just needed a clutch cable adjustment at the time.

The rear bumper was hanging down. I decided to do a little micro fab work and get the bumper back on straight.

I drilled some well placed holes in some inch and inch and a half wide steel plate.
I also took the liberty of removing the hitch.

After that it sat about a year or so in my garage. It still didn't drive well.

And here's some interior shots. Complete with new **** knob.

Last edited:
After a year and pulling it back out, I realized the windshield leaked. Bad. Water was getting between the trim and glass. When someone previous installed the glass, the glue was stuck to the trim instead of to the glass itself. So there was nothing to seal. 100 bucks later, and the windshield didn't leak. Or clunk over bumps.

I also took the time to buy a different hood. It will get sprayed red later.

This spring I put new rotors, calipers, and pads on the front. The left front kept binding pretty aweful. Unfortunately, no shot of the new shiny brake parts. But it stops straight now. Also threw on my hydras w/summer tires and my late 940's spoiler. The rustoeum red is a pretty good match. I also fixed the passenger door by grinding out the rust bubble, priming, and using double stick tape to a newer piece of trim.
Here's the rust bubble:

I also had to replace the steel lines on the power steering rack. Ryanfay hooked me up.

Here's how it looks.

A bit of tom foolery inderlude.

Somewhere I need to mention that my car wasn't running well. It seemed to be falling on it's face all the time.
Here's the 3 pics that pretty much explain it all. The engine was at TDC when these were taken.

Square (toothed belt) peg in a round (toothed gear) hole.
It was off two teeth. And it still ran. Now it has a proper round toothed belt and is set correctly.

Last edited:
And what brings me to this week.
For months, buzz has been telling me about this certain birthday, christmas, valentines day, easter gift. I had given him my 90+ turbo manifold to port out last fall. Here it is, with said attached to the gift!

Is it what I think it is?

Yup, a 15G. With wastegate actuator bracket, mounted, and clocked (mostly) to RWD.

Oh wait, there's more?

Hell yeah. Both ported very nicely.

So buzz came down and we got to work. That turbo is a nice inspiration. Here's him working and me taking a pic.

Thats where we ended for the day.

Today I got back at it.

Well damn, there's a tip of an allen wrench stuck in the set screw for the shift lever. So I had to make do and pull the small stub of the shifter out with the trans.
I also only broke one exhaust stud. But it broke right where the nut sat, so with some pb blaster soaking, I should be able to use 2 nuts and get the old stud out. I hope.

My clutch had actually been slipping the last month of so of me using it sparingly like a DD. No amount of cable adjustment helped. When I bought the car, it came with a new clutch and PP, so why not do it all together?

I plan on drilling the boss for the oil return. New rear main seal while it's out.
I still need about 150 bucks or so worth of parts to put it back in. Then I still need to find a downpipe. There's this wicked cheap mexican muffler shop close by. They do pretty damned good work, and they're fast. I might see what they can whip up.

Also, while the engine and trans are out, it gets new motor mounts and a new tranny mount, new clutch cable and clutch, and hopefully a fresh coat of red on the engine and in the engine bay.

I have just about everything else for the +t that I saved from my 91 940. Intercooler, piping, hoses, etc.

I plan on running a cone filter off the amm, which will have the wires extended so it can be pre-turbo. I don't like the idea of pressurizing the amm post-turbo style.

That's how she sits tonight. I appreciate the feedback.

Today's progress: (also edited post #3)

I drilled (3/4" because 23/32" was unobtanium) and tapped the oil return boss to a 1/2 npt with 5/8" barb. The entire inside is the same diameter straight through.

Then I took care of a pesty stud that snapped off. First I tried the double-nut approach. Stripped em both.
Then tried a torch and vice-grip. Snapped it off closer to the head.
I finally had to drill it. My relatively cheap Irwin bit (1/4") made relative quick progress of the stud. Then I made a quick trip to Fastenall and got a new m8 x 1.25 tap. Giggity. Also used it on a bolt that broke off removing the battery tray.

Last edited:
Micro update.
Paint. And degreaser.

Still gotta hit the inside of the trans bellhousing. And the engine bay and mounts and accessories.

Progress over last week. Took 1 day from my staycation of sleeping in and non-physical activities and worked on the engine a bit.

Started with a gunky engine compartment and brackets, and ended up with a pretty clean work slate.

Then I got around to using some of these thingies.

IPD rear cam plate, manifold, turbo :-D

(That's only my backup floor jack)

Now waiting on more parts. The braided oil line came with a 10mm banjo bolt... No me gusta.
Searched tb quickly to find I needed 12 x 1.25

Now that it came in today, I re-searched more slowly to find I need a 12 x 1.5 :grrr:
SO it's on its way.

Lets try this post again:

I've been working here and there 15 min at a time getting it pieced back together.
Here's the latest shot of the engine. I installed v70 turbo injectors. High impedance, so no need for a resistor. I also got a new dipstick o-ring. The engine is all buttoned up at this point and ready to come off the stand. Then rear main seal, clutch bits, mount trans and install to car.
20130729_183916_zps469b7fd8.jpg

Next I've been working on pulling the wiring harness for the AMM back through the loom. Everything seems to reach, except the brown/black wire. Instead of going to the ecu, it's just a ground that terminates at a junction then at a ground ring on the engine. So I'll need to run a separate ground for that.
20130729_192240_zpsfb86f558.jpg

20130814_213640_zps68690f30.jpg

Then I swapped in these:
20130808_133445_zps506f4281.jpg

20130808_133716_zps6ec532ca.jpg

For these:
20130814_201235_zps59ad9980.jpg

Next up I had to work on the shifter. I had previously tried removing the set screw from the shifter only to have my bit break off. I ended up pulling the engine/trans with shift lever sticking up. So I had no luck drilling the set screw. I ended up drilling the softer metal in the pin.
20130814_202015_zpsf5e965a5.jpg

20130814_202022_zps2ebd9c3b.jpg

Next up I finally got a good reason to use my drill press. Several dulled bits later, I had a hole.
20130814_202110_zpsaedd24ed.jpg

Then I used my tap I got from fastenall. I really like it's quality. 8x1.25
20130814_203736_zps94eb3875.jpg

Then a bolt that I'm gonna grind down. I'll leave the hex head and use loctite. I believe there's plenty of room.
20130814_204240_zpsc4ae4c4a.jpg

Last for the night, I took care of some wiring. When I pulled the trans and motor, the wiring for the reverse lights practically disintegrated in my hands.
20130814_210100_zpsd611bf07.jpg

SO I got to use my favorite wiring tools. The heat shrink fit perfectly around the original insulation when heated. Water tight goodness.
20130814_211610_zps8ee98698.jpg

Back