• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric power steering.

sweet deal... my experiences with the volvo electric pump setup have been very good... that really is the only type i have driven though.

It was quite easy, I just made a bracket to mount the pump to the finder well. I tried to take some pics but they dont really show anything. Its just an electric pump bolted to the car and normal lines like what you would have in a belt driven pump. Toyota uses some kinda ecu and sensor on the wheel to turn it on. This is not as sophisticated as i turn it on with an alegator clip at the moment. It will be on a toggle switch as soon as I have time to run to Radioshack. The whole swap is sitting around $20 at the moment.

The pump is out of a 2g toyota mr2. All you need is the pump and the relay. I took a piece of the high pressure line, cut it off and welded it to the volvo line. Not the most elegant way of doing it but hey it works.

It was quite easy, I just made a bracket to mount the pump to the finder well. I tried to take some pics but they dont really show anything. Its just an electric pump bolted to the car and normal lines like what you would have in a belt driven pump. Toyota uses some kinda ecu and sensor on the wheel to turn it on. This is not as sophisticated as i turn it on with an alegator clip at the moment. It will be on a toggle switch as soon as I have time to run to Radioshack. The whole swap is sitting around $20 at the moment.

The pump is out of a 2g toyota mr2. All you need is the pump and the relay. I took a piece of the high pressure line, cut it off and welded it to the volvo line. Not the most elegant way of doing it but hey it works.

So the line pressures match up between the pump and rack? This is really my only concern.

It does seem like a really easy install. I'm definitely doing this now. Much easier than trying to adapt a 240 pump to the T5 accessory mount/belt.

haha no clue if the pressures match up. The power steering feels perfect, not over powering at all.

You cannot feel vibration, i put it on rubber isolators. As far as noise, its not that bad inside the car. My car is gutted so eveything is loud. You cannot hear the pump over the motor with a stock exhaust though. No worse than a walbro 255 fuel pump.

It seems noisy in the video. Can you hear it over the engine? Any vibration into the cab or steering wheel?

Pumps like that are really only noisy at idle while sitting. If the car is moving it's not really noticeable. This is a common modification for the Audi I5 20v cars.

Yeah once the alt is spinning the pump really starts moving and it gets a lot quieter. If you want to get real fancy, get the sensor off then mr2 and the pump will only come on when you turn the wheel.

As far as pumps that put out too much pressure go, plumbing in an adjustable relief valve is a straightforward/cheap fix. If my rack doesn't like the 960 pump that is what I will do.

Kinda hard to see do you have pics? I'm interested in this for my volvo but also for my subaru. How much was the pump and do they come on anything other than the mr2s?

Thanks
Renny

Like I said, kinda hard to get a picture of anything. I fail at taking pics while i did it, it was like 2am and I didn't care about pictures.

Pump was $16.50 from the wrecking yard. Probally another $10 in hose, clamps, fluid and hardware. I had most of that stuff laying around though.

Yeah once the alt is spinning the pump really starts moving and it gets a lot quieter. If you want to get real fancy, get the sensor off then mr2 and the pump will only come on when you turn the wheel.

How does THAT work? What lets it know the steering linkage is spinnin?

How does THAT work? What lets it know the steering linkage is spinnin?

It gets quieter with the extra voltage the alt provides.

The mr2 sensor is basiclly a hall sensor that can tell when the wheel moves. It has its own ecu just for ps. I abandoned all that. Im trying to keep this car simple as possable. Im considering using it on my wagon though.

Back