• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

pv 544

see, a car is all about the feeling it gives you when you drive it, i certianly was not alive when it was built, and i've got no sentimental connection to it, but the cool thing is, it's an amazing looking car, a GREAT body to work with (almost empty interior too!) and why not give it a good touch of modern technology to ressurect a car so it can last another 47 years on the road.

t_irs.jpg

hmmm!! now to figure out how to adapt it to the shorter wheelbase of the PV.....

that being said, i'm more or less looking at the benefits that the IRS 8.8 had on the shelby cobra kit cars, and they've got a way more similar rear track length to the pv, (54 on the cobra, 51 on the pv)

and we know, there is a good setup for those, so some tweaking here and there, and it could give me a good base to work from.

good point, but consider the fact that a SRS live axle might be:

a) cost effective
b) stronger
c) better handling

definitely not a bash but it looks to me (and this is OMHO) like your going to install the answer to the question nobody asked under your new pv.

i'd do the live axle personally, but if you want that cobra rear... by all means i would be first to support you.

well, plan B would be an 8.8 solid axle, and those are virtually indestructible when built up, not to mention can take a good 4-link easily. i'm just trying to figure out the pro's and cons of each. either is doable.

plan b is the one, my man.

a 9 inch or 8.8 inch with a four link > fords wonky IRS any day. in any category. :-D

hell dare i venture to say that volvo's irs is superior in design.....

Last edited:
yeah, but what about wanting to run around in circles and around stuff, although, i guess it would be like the classic volvo racing "well, the volvos are sure fast on the straightaways, but it's the corners that give us jag's a chance!" i guess i'll work something out, i wonder if they make an aluminum live 8.8....

can anyone else offer insight into this?

okay, since i managed to drag home a 122s with a perfectly good / half built up b18, a good tranny and good rear end/stuff. It'll end up in the PV.

total count on PV: passenger side frame rail is shot, drivers side is mint, the holes in the floor are minimal, and fiixable, i'll end up cleaning and patching the passenger side since just the very bottom part is gone (on underside of body), whereas the rest of it is amazingly solid. anyone know anywhere i can get a book that'll tell me where all the bolts are hidden behind the undercoating so i can get the front clip off? man, i need a really good welder too.

as well, looking at the front suspension setup, it appears that it could take airbags, REALLY well! hmm.........
i'm down to using a henrob 2000 OA setup (looks promising) or saving up some mad cash and buying a fairly high level miller 135 or similar. anyone?

Last edited:
bingo, i think i'm going to go the henrob oxyacetelyne route, should make things interesting.

so far, it looks like i'm going to make the 544 into a cruiser, and the 122s into a fast little bastard, because of the room there is to work with, and the 544 is in better shape than the 122s. with a fresh b18/b20 and tranny it should be nice.

Nice 544!

Thanks for saving another 2 old Volvos! The 544 was California/Cascade white originally, same as the 242 in my sig. Good Luck and Enjoy!

well, working on it, some ass of a PO has bondo'ed the crap outta this one, as well, they've decided to tack WELD the fenders on, so now i'm gonna be grinding off rusty fenders.

k. got the front clip off, gotta make a jig to mold for fiberglass, engine is ready to come out as well. anyone need some cheap b16 parts?

a freeeeking long build though, but hopefully sick. At least i have a mockup engine (slightly to the left in most pics, from an 850)

It'll be neat to see if MS can control both the VVT and COP, hell, it'll be neat to see if i can shoe-horn it in between the frame rails (well, i'll have to make new frame rails anyways, but still. Still doing the strip-down on the PV, it's basically a rolling chassis right now, but i still havent broken into the trunk or pulled the rear fenders.

Back