• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'94 960 gets Mercedes OM606 diesel

Oh, definately!

Made Polyurethane shifter bushings:

I had to take it out on a test drive around the block again to test the shifter, and it's perfect now.
Also, the temp-gauge started climbing a bit from zero, so I'll leave the M50 Motronic sensor for the time being and watch it when I get a chance for a longer test drive. After I get an exhaust on it - it sounds mean indeed, but my ears are bleeding, neighbours are threatening, etc...

This build has been on my mind the past few weeks but I couldn't find the thread :oops:

Any updates? : D

Not realls, since the video. I drive her here and there, but I'm battling with making the 744 16v turbo into a reliable daily driver forever, so the 960 is on the wait list...

I have to straighten some dents, paint it, redo the interior wiring and get some nice interior that is not mixmatched from like five cars. I might get some stuff for the interior one of these days. Then it's onto bushings, Koni Race's, coilovers, etc. Probably won't see engine work until later next year, but I'm still debating myself yet another swap, this time to M60B40...

So, I didn't do a M60B40. But I got M50B25 out. I was going to paint the car, blah, blah, and eventually go with a built B234FT.

Somehow I started thinking of diesels, looking into OM606's, but I wasn't sure that's what I want.

Well, this came along and I couldn't pass it:

OM606.962 from a '99 W210 E300 Turbodiesel.

I'm going to get the car ready for the swap and assemble the engine while it's out. It's going to run on a mechanical pump and manual box. Still debating is it going to be a Merc 5-speed or one of my M90's.

These engines are beasts, but I'll start out with stock (177hp) and see from there how much more I'm going to need. Unlike the thing with M50, I want this to be a daily driver and trailer hauler...

So, I get about a minute a day to dick around with this car, so there still isn't anything worth mention, but here it goes...

- I got the engine home at least...
20161014_171814.jpg

- Did some long needed work on the headlights:
IMG_20161026_WA0000.jpg

IMG_20161026_WA0004.jpg

- Got the correct sender cleaned and back in the tank along with some 8mm ID in/out hoses.
- 8mm ID feed/return copper lines under the car pending some 2-post lift time, along with pressure-washing and undercoating the floor. When? Whenever I get 5 hours worth free time.
- I postulate that 8mm in/out should do it for now, IF I ever decide to go above 250-ish ponies, it won't be a biggie to step up to 12/10mm.

- In other news - originally it came with tan leather that, along with the rest of interior got killed in action while the car served as a dog house for the P/O, 6 years ago. Had some ugly 940 cloth rears in, along with C/D/roof pillar trim that wasn't plush. Now it's all 960 plush again, grey, save for rear bench that's black. Going to dye that, whenever I get some time... Time. See the pattern?

20161020_153355.jpg

- FINALLY! Cargo cover w/ parcel shelf!

20161020_153256.jpg

That one wasn't really the best one out there, but a couple days later, I found another one, this one mint! Might not be a big thing over there, but here you find a lot more hen's teeth than 700/900 cargo covers...

20161022_194158.jpg

- Originally I contemplated putting a M90 behind the engine, but why waste a good M90 that can come in handy for the 740T 16v... So I got a Benz box from an OM602.962, which was in W124 250D Turbo:

IMG_1477848842193_V.jpg

Should fare well for now, until I get a W210 E220 CDI 6-speed which is supposedly stronger and comes with 6-speed bragging rights.

- Lunch break, Monday: I started taking an OM601.912 (W124 300D N/A) mechanical injection pump apart, in order to swap in 6mm injection elements from the EDC pump that came with the engine. I don't want a ECU controlled pump since I don't want any sensor apart from gauge senders on the engine. Going for simplicity with this one. I'm going to have manual glow-plug control, as well. A stock Volvo or W201/W124 relay would work, but hey, that's another thing that could break in 20 years, right?

IMG_1478002236527_V.jpg

So, eventually I did build an OM603 pump with OM606A 6mm elements and got the engine to fire on the stand. Mounted the box on it, with W124 300E clutch.

There are adjustments to be done, but I can't do that until it at least warms up, and I was too lazy to setup entire cooling system on the stand. Point is - engine appears fine, so it was to go in today.

It did. And then it went back out immediately. I somehow got that old BMW engine with front sump to fit, so I hoped this could be crammed in as well. Nope, I'll have to cut and weld the sump, after all. Stupid Germans made the sump from aluminium, I guess they didn't anticipate someone would go around banging their sump on every curb available. I'll start cutting and mocking it tomorrow, unless I don't.

No pics from today, I was too frozen (-6*C) and disappointed, so I crushed the phone instead. Oh well.

Finally got around to actually stuffing it there. I like how it sits now. It could have gone back a bit, if I had shortened the pan enough, but it isn't going to be a race car anyway, and I like to have some space behind the head, in case I have to work on something there.

It just hangs there on floor jacks for now. Next up: engine mounts.

Very nice project! How well did it work out with the front oil sump? Do you need a V6 swaybar or does it clear the normal one? Did you put the engine in all the way back to the firewall?

nice! i love those engine's , the only reason that i not having a om605/om606 engine in my 242 is the trouble with the sump. but for a om605 i could get away with a sump from a ssangyang with 5 cilinder 10 valve mercedes engine.

but, is changing the injector elements a DIY thing? thought that it had to be don by a proffesional

and that gearbox, is that 250+ hp proof?

love to see more of this build!

This is clearence in the front:

It's not all the way back, actually plenty of room to go even more towards the firewall, but that would mean massaging the trans tunnel with a BFH, and I wouldn't be happy with it. Engine can't be lowered any more, since it's already about 7mm off of the crossmember, I wouldn't be comfortable with an aluminium pan that close to crossmember.

So, that's it:

Also, I don't have a swaybar on as of yet, as I've taken it off in order to fit M50B25 some years ago, since there was no way for it to fit with sway in place. Actually, when I shortened the pan on this thing, it's pretty similar to what M50 pan looked like in situ. That leads me to believe that I'll either have to make some drop mountings or source a V6 sway...

Thanks for the info and pictures! I asked because I'm still on the fence whether to convert the M120 sump to a front or a rear sump on my swap, the OM606 and M120 are about the same length except the M120 has the sump in the middle so it'll need extensive modifying anyway (except on the M120 from a R129 but I can't find any of those). I guess I'll go with a rear sump as it's not more work to do on the m120 and then there are no issues with the swaybar etc.

Sure, if you need any other pics, just let me know.

From what I've seen, if you'd do *something* to the crossmember and tunnel, you might be able to move the engine further back, which would leave more space for the radiators and stuff in the front. However, it might still not go far enough back to let you have any meaningful capacity sump, unless you go with a "hammerhead" style sump, as seen on Alfa Nord / Tipo 105 engines...

Where would the oil pump live in a M120 anyway? All the way in the front, or near the middle, with a long input shaft? Hmm... M120/M103/M104/OM603/OM606 engines are similar enough in some basic things that it makes one wonder, would an oil pump and sump out of one of those fit M120? OM613 (320CDI) oil pump and rear sump pan fit OM606, for what it's worth...

Sure, if you need any other pics, just let me know.

From what I've seen, if you'd do *something* to the crossmember and tunnel, you might be able to move the engine further back, which would leave more space for the radiators and stuff in the front. However, it might still not go far enough back to let you have any meaningful capacity sump, unless you go with a "hammerhead" style sump, as seen on Alfa Nord / Tipo 105 engines...

Where would the oil pump live in a M120 anyway? All the way in the front, or near the middle, with a long input shaft? Hmm... M120/M103/M104/OM603/OM606 engines are similar enough in some basic things that it makes one wonder, would an oil pump and sump out of one of those fit M120? OM613 (320CDI) oil pump and rear sump pan fit OM606, for what it's worth...
Thanks, I might take you up on that. The M120 will be about as far back as your OM606, maybe a bit further back. The limiting factor is the part of the firewall where the AC stuff is in, which is further forward and will hit the right cylinder head. The pump lives all the way in the front, so for a rear sump just extend the pickup tube. The stock sump is already like a "hammerhead" style, just in the wrong place for a Volvo. I doubt an oil pan from another merc engine will bolt up, the M120 doesn't share much with anything else, besides the cylinder heads.
I might ask you for some more pics of your build once I get a bit further along with mine.

cool post

I am about to go down this road an OM606/CD009 in a 91 940 this should be fun

A few parts will need to be made for sure and i will have Yoshifab give me a hand with some of this.

Back