home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 04-30-2003, 01:15 AM   #1
MattP
Board Member

Are the mechanics of installing a B280F in a 1990 240 difficult? IE motor mounts, bellhousing, space. I know earlier 260's came with 27f. Does this mean the engine bay is essentially the same size? The Fire Breathing Monster has me thinking. Question specifically for John Lane or oppositelock. Did you have to change the rods or pistons to reduce the compression ratio? I remembered reading something about that, but I can't find it now. Thanks.

Matt
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinion
Are the mechanics of installing a B280F in a 1990 240 difficult? IE motor mounts, bellhousing, space. I know earlier 260's came with 27f. Does this mean the engine bay is essentially the same size? The Fire Breathing Monster has me thinking. Question specifically for John Lane or oppositelock. Did you have to change the rods or pistons to reduce the compression ratio? I remembered reading something about that, but I can't find it now. Thanks.

Matt
You sure that you want to open this can of worms? This is not an easy undertaking. Yeah, it will bolt right in and ya can hammer a pilot bearing into the back of the crank so that ya can fit a manual box, but this is a lot of work for less power then can be easily had with a redblock.
My toy uses the block and lower case of the B-280 with heads and liners of an Eagle Premier for three liters of displacement and better intake port flow. I did J&E forged pistons with Eagle racin' con rods and then turbocharged it. Is is silly? Hell yeah. Was it inexpensive? Hell no!!! Did I break EVERYTHING in the drivetrain more then once? Yup. Would I do it over again? Yup.
Programmable injection is a must from the git-go. You will break M-46 trannies with the 200 horses that you will get with a naturally aspirated three liter.
Sure that you are up for it?
What is your no-bs budget?
JL.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:28 PM   #3
Volvo78GT
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane
Is is silly? Hell yeah. Was it inexpensive? Hell no!!! Did I break EVERYTHING in the drivetrain more then once? Yup. Would I do it over again? Yup.
My hero
Volvo78GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:32 PM   #4
MattP
Board Member

The initial reason I am doing this is the Grassroots Motorsports 2003 Challenge. This challenge is already over, but the 2004 is about 11 months away. A friend of mine and I were talking about what car we could think of to use. The whole point is to win a drag, autocross, and judging competition for $2003 or less. I know your car cost many times more than that, but the base components are very cheap. I found a 1990 240 near me for $350 and I found a B280F for $300 in running condition not so near me. I was going to use a Holset WH1C for cheap turbo, powerstroke, ford 8.8, and use a megasquirt for fuel only. I would keep the boost down until I at least put a T5 in it. My big question is the clutch. I would do all of the modifications myself to keep the costs down. I am capable of 90% of all the mechanical modifications necessary. For the other 10% I know some people. So for the first year the budget is ridiculously low. I don't know if I can make it for $2004, but I would love to break stuff trying. I love breaking metal things especially when they are not my daily driver, and I didn't pay much for them in the first place. The second year budget is $5000. That year I will need to identify the type of racing league I would want to enter this into. I don't need to build anything like your car the first year. Just having fun.

Matt Potter
Old 04-30-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
MattP
Board Member

You have to pay to play. I forgot whose quote this was. But it is pretty good.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:34 PM   #6
parkgh34
Board Member

Whats a B280?
intake, 2 1/2 magnaflow exhaust ,m47, K cam, adj cam gear, solid mounts, electric fan, excel coil, Zimmerman X-drilled rotors, PBR ceramic pads, ipd 25/25mm swaybars, IPD strut bar, EST solid endlinks, ipd upper gt strut braces, ipd gt lower chasiss braces and est springs with bilstien HD shocks, adj panhard bar, poly bushings,corbeau forza II w/ 4 pt harness, VDO gauges, 16 x 7.5 Borbet type E's, Falken Azenis RT-615 215/45/16

http://www.pbase.com/rvm2k3/james_244
parkgh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:57 PM   #7
SquareD
An Anomaly

2.8 liter v6, started as the B27 a joint venture between Peugeot, Renault and Volvo.

Linky:
http://www.peugeotclub.org/peugeot/a...97_7/0456.html
1994 945ti | 15g @ 15psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, TME upper/CT lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:39 AM   #8
JohnLane
Board Member

Ya handy about machine work?
If so, get busy with a bellhousing for a V-6 and fit a T-5. You can still use a Volvo (V-6) pressure plate and a six puck clutch disc with the correct splines for the Ford. It will take the power just fine. M-46 trannies are now cheap too. You will break mainshafts and gears in all the early ones. In the late M-46 trannies with the P-type OD you will just break gears. The mainshaft is a lot stronger.
The standard cast pistons in the B-280 will break ring lands under boost. The rods will handle 300 horses pretty easy.
Turbocharged you will break engine mounts. Make up additional mounts out of rear suspension torque rods and attach 'em to the valve covers.
Your project sounds like a hoot. Go git 'em!!
JL.
JohnLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:10 PM   #9
MattP
Board Member

Will the pistons break the ring lands under any level of boost or over a certain value? Thanks for all the advice.

Matt
Old 05-01-2003, 06:47 PM   #10
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Will the pistons break the ring lands under any level of boost or over a certain value? Thanks for all the advice.

Matt
I broke ring lands at six pounds of boost. You will be shocked at how bloody much faster that six is with "just" six pounds of boost. Mine would tear up tires rolling on throttle in third gear as the boost came up. That was with a 195 width tire on descent tarmac. The tires make a cool howl as that happens. Then your transmission makes that noise that we are all too familiar with......You know the one......Ice is in the blender for the Margarita and you turn it on...... .......Yeah....That one.
JL.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:58 PM   #11
Volvo78GT
Board Member

sigh...

My Hero.
Volvo78GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:25 AM   #12
MattP
Board Member

Could I use a whole Eagle Premier motor in the 240 or would I need a B280 lower? Eagle Premier motors in the Midwest are a dime a dozen. So are 240's with no engines. Thanks for your help.

Matt
Old 05-06-2003, 11:35 AM   #13
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Could I use a whole Eagle Premier motor in the 240 or would I need a B280 lower? Eagle Premier motors in the Midwest are a dime a dozen. So are 240's with no engines. Thanks for your help.

Matt
Get to reading my posts from the past for more info.
The lower case is different between the Volvo version and the Premier/Monaco. The Volvo stuff will bolt on to the Premier block.
Easy work that does take time. Put the Premier engine side by side with the B-280 for seeing the differences. they are many. It is doable. You could steal the lower case of a B-27 or B-28 too. Injection will require some thinking.
Have fun!!
JL.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 PM   #14
MattP
Board Member

I remembered reading mostly what you did in the way of Premier parts, but when I searched on liners and your name I got nothing. I knew liners was part of the thread so I went back and looked at everything you had written until I found it. Sure enough liners was there. Can't explain it. Thanks for your help. The guy was a no show on the $200 240. My plans are on hiatus. Guess I will have to work on my B23FT P1800. Always something fun. Talk to you later.

Matt