• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

-92 vs 93 240 AC Brackets

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
This may be of help to someone else down the road, especially if you are retrofitting a later AC setup. Its also rough finding the orientation of brackets and bolts - even the way that the bolt goes through (nut on the inside or outside), ground wire placement, etc. Here's a couple of pics of the mounting brackets for a later 240 AC compressor.

The brackets on the 92 version are on the backside of the top mounts but cannot be that way on the 93 style as the rear ports are integrated to the housing and much closer to the compressors mounts. I also notice the top bracket is really tight on the ground wire at the front of the compressor - not crazy about it but is what it is. It seems the 93 were literal opposites/upside down to the 92's.

92-AC-Brackets.jpg

93-AC-Brackets.jpg

I have also found that in order to use a 93 AC system (the compressor with the 'rabbit ear' integrated ports), you must use the 93 specific mounting bracket (the same one the power steering sits on). The 92 and earlier bracket has a much wider / angled gusset that supports the PS pump so since the compressor is shorter and the ports are integrated on the body, the rear adjuster will be off and the hard line will hit the bracket.

AC9293b.jpg

P1030650xx.jpg

The obviously different brackets (should also note that the bushings for the PS mount both go in from the front also) -

AC-9293.jpg

The 92 and earlier is the same PN form at least 86 to 92. So if you convert your 86+ to a 91-92, the bracket is the same. Its NLA new but a dime a dozen in the yards. The 93 is different for reasons explained and is still available new.

Hope this is of any help in the future. I make stupid ish like this because my projects are ones that are disassembled for months then put back together with a series of blonde moments as to how or where things go.

Last edited:
Do these help? (click on image for slightly bigger versions)

And where did you get that shiny new compressor? How much??? (It turns out that mine doesn't pump at all, even with extra PAG added.)

Thats a perfect pic! Shows the brackets to the inside top and bottom.....(note to self). Thanks very much for posting it!

The shiney toy a new one from Volvo - PN 36000819 . They are factory remans - says made in Japan on the box (maybe thats where the box is made :-P ) . Cost is around $500-600, plus a core of $75 (IIRC). I think mine with the discount and shipping was $560 delivered. I tried to go aftermarket (there are some really good US made brands out there for $300-400) and its impossible. They will all send you the pre 93 setup (wrong ports) no matter what you tell them. All their parts books tell them the part numbers are the same. Last guy said he looked it up and saw a pic of an OE one and then understood what I was talking about. I'm sure you could make them work, but this car is '$pecial' so has to be right.

The bolts are new and the brackets I have replated (nicer than new). :oogle:

Thanks again!

there are different large cast aluminum brackets that hold the left sided components, which can screw things up with a swap. I have multiple 93's and you need the same bracket for best alignment. I'll truy to get pics later.

My son scored a 93 240 compressor with mounts, and I think the damn thing is in old Dad's pallet rack stash of powertrain parts. LMK if you don't get another for data, and I could search for it and snap some pics.

When I converted my 89 to the 93 A/C, the bracket was different. I had to modify it slightly to accommodate the 89 P/S pump if I remember correctly.

Also the 93-95 940 uses the same compressor, but with a larger pulley. I didn't know Volvo still offered reman 93' compressors. I recently installed a reman A/C compressor off of Rockauto in a customers car, had the correct "V" line configuration. Lets see if it makes it through the summer.

The 93 bracket is narrower for the AC adjusters - if that was all, you could make a spacer and get by. But the main difference in the brackets (91-92 vs 93) is the rear section of the cast bracket is much different. The 91-92 compressors had vertical ports that extended out the back of the compressor body. The 93's are angled and cast into the body itself. So if you use a 93 compressor with a 91-92 bracket, the high pressure line will hit the backside of the bracket (PS support gusset) when you go to tension the belt.

So if you go 93, you need the 93 specific bracket. Its still available too - 6842367

Last edited:
This is SO much help; thanks 15A. Been working backwards to figure out why my ac compressor is canted- now I know I have a 92 compressor and 93 brackets.

Do you think it's better to delete the a/c or get a refurbished compressor and flush/refill in this 30 year old hunka junk?

This is SO much help; thanks 15A. Been working backwards to figure out why my ac compressor is canted- now I know I have a 92 compressor and 93 brackets.

Do you think it's better to delete the a/c or get a refurbished compressor and flush/refill in this 30 year old hunka junk?

Sounds like an old Elvis song....Hunka hunka burning junk. :omg:

What year is your car (which is out of place....the compressor or bracket)? If your AC worked, it doesn't take much to bring it back. Once you delete it, kind of hard to go back.

91-92 components are far easier to come up with. If everything is a 93 (and intact - condenser, HP line, etc), get a 93 compressor. If its just the bracket thats doesn't fit, -92 brackets are the easiest to find.

:cool:

The 91-93 systems work well and are easy to service. I have good used 93 compressors and the 91-92 style brackets. Get in touch if you want to buy parts to get things as they should be.

Back