• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric power steering.

Most cars with these fitted have a failsafe built in that prevents the pmp from working if the alternator output is below 14ish volts. Those pumps draw between 20 & 30amps and will flatten the battery very quickly.

Don't you guys get cars with electric steering columns over there?

Do you get these?

CORSA%20C.jpg

Most newish small cars here have electric columns- no hydraulics involved at all. I've been thinking it may be a future modification for the 142

Very cool. How many amps does it draw?
I'm trying to adapt an AC clutch to a whiteblock PS pump so I can turn it off when Its not needed. Get rid of some of the parasitic drag.

Very cool. How many amps does it draw?
I'm trying to adapt an AC clutch to a whiteblock PS pump so I can turn it off when Its not needed. Get rid of some of the parasitic drag.

I dunno, i didn't check... the motor bogs less when i switch the ps on than the E fan however.

How much HP does a PS pump on a 2/7/9 series take? 1-2 HP? more? I know the Volvo racks don't require much power assist anyway.

Just curious.. If an electric pump takes 20-30 amps of current then the ALT is just taking more HP to run it, right?

30 amps is about 1/2HP and it need not rum all the time. How about activating it with a steering wheel position sensor?

Back