• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Request: 940 with 960 bumper

Sir Psycho

holstrich 2.0
I've heard there's a bit of a problem fitting the 95+ 960 bumpers onto a 940. The long back section can be made to work, but the sides are a problem.

Pics or links to people that have done it?

I tried to put a 960 rear bumper on my 94 940, didn't work. It'll bolt up but there is a large gap between the body and bumper. Either ^ works or maybe take the skin off and put on the 940 bumper frame/foam. It certainly isn't just a bolt up dealio.

I tried to put a 960 rear bumper on my 94 940, didn't work. It'll bolt up but there is a large gap between the body and bumper. Either ^ works or maybe take the skin off and put on the 940 bumper frame/foam. It certainly isn't just a bolt up dealio.

What year 960? Isnt there a chrome trim piece that goes with it?

You'll need a wagon rear bumper and it will bolt right on. The 960 sedans have a dip cut out for the trunk lid, the wagons are flat. They do stick out a little bit further then stock, but the lines all work right. We did one on a '90 740.

A rear bumper of a 900 series sedan would fit any other 900 series sedan.

A rear bumper of a 900 series estate is interchangable with any other 700 or 900 estate, and 700 sedan. Dunno about a 780, but it wouldn't surprise me if that also fits.

For the front (if you're swapping for your 850 bumper), you need to trim the metal below the body line on the front fenders so that it matches up with the bottom of the front headlamps. (sans trim of course)

No, the 960 sedan bumpers will only work on a 960 sedan because of the trunk lid cut out, trust me, we tried...

volvo_940_GL_1.jpg

S90_06.jpg

I don't see a trunk lid cut out...

By the way, i see that there is a tiny cut out, but that won't affect the fitment. I guess you've mixed up a V90 rear bumper with an S90 bumper. No way that a V90 bumper is going to fit a 944.

No, the 960 sedan bumpers will only work on a 960 sedan because of the trunk lid cut out, trust me, we tried...

No really, all 960 bumpers can be fitted to 940s. You just need to be consistent with the body style with the rear bumper. The sedan fits on a sedan and the wagon only fits a wagon. Their body dimensions are identical so it's a straight bolt in. Having just owned a 964 for a bit I can safely say that there is no real cut out(there is a incredibly slight indentation at the edges of the lid, but it works on the 944 too since their trunks and body are the same) for the trunk lid. I think you might be mixing this up with an 850/V70 wagon; besides this no other Volvo up until the S60 has any significant cutout for a trunk/hatch. My friend even went ahead and put a 964 bumper on his 944SE with no trouble asides from some different bumper shock combination to pull the bumper flush to the body.

Here's a pic:
IMGP0917.jpg

Sorry gentlemen, I stand corrected. I was using a 1990 740 as my point of reference, this required a wagon bumper to pull off.

Sorry gentlemen, I stand corrected. I was using a 1990 740 as my point of reference, this required a wagon bumper to pull off.

Like i said ;-) No worries though.

BTW, seeing a 960/V/S90 front bumper on a 940 front end, always makes me a bit sick, because it always looks sloppy. Maybe except from that one grey car which i can't find a pictar from.

I might know what my problem was. I think the rear bumper I tried to get to fit was from a 965 wagon and I tried putting it on my 940. With that, the sides wouldn't mount to the body, the things that you slide the bumper in weren't in the same place.

So mounting a 964 sedan bumper up to a 944 sedan is straight forward with no modifications?

I might know what my problem was. I think the rear bumper I tried to get to fit was from a 965 wagon and I tried putting it on my 940. With that, the sides wouldn't mount to the body, the things that you slide the bumper in weren't in the same place.

So mounting a 964 sedan bumper up to a 944 sedan is straight forward with no modifications?

I don't think so, I tried, I used a 964 rear and it didn't fit, too large of a gap. I think the shocks need to be replaced or modded like someone said above.

-Tim

Back