• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

KL Racing 16v intake on upright engine

Tfrasca

I've been searching the internet for a photo of this intake manifold mounted on an upright 16v B230, to no avail. It could be in any car, but I'm trying to figure out if it would fit in my 142 without a brake booster in the way. Does anyone remember seeing that setup?

03687_1.jpg

Also, how is ordering from KL Racing from here in the US?

Ordering is good. I bought intake for 8v and it was at my door step in ten days. I don’t think you can get a better intake for the money. I’m waiting on my 8v head to be done then gonna install it with the head. 8v and 16v intake look similar. I know mine will fit with no problems. I seen some pic of 16v, I’ll see if I can find them.

have you tried e-mailing them for measurements or pictures of test fitting etc. ??? they make the versions by the way one for slanted and one for upright..

Ordering is excellent. Like stated above, I had a set of Cams from them to me in northern Canada in a week.

I am trying to figure out the same thing! I have one of these manifolds and will be mocking it up in the next week or two. I can get you a quicker answer if having the 234 head sitting on top of a b20 block is dimensionally close enough? k

I am trying to figure out the same thing! I have one of these manifolds and will be mocking it up in the next week or two. I can get you a quicker answer if having the 234 head sitting on top of a b20 block is dimensionally close enough? k

That would be great, thanks. I just heard back from KL and they told me they can't measure it "as it is not easy to select the same measuring point", and that I'd probably have to cut and weld the plenum to get it to fit. I'm not convinced that's true, so any measurements or photos you could take would be great.

It was mentioned earlier that KL makes a manifold for an upright engine, but I don't see that anywhere on the site.

That would be great, thanks. I just heard back from KL and they told me they can't measure it "as it is not easy to select the same measuring point", and that I'd probably have to cut and weld the plenum to get it to fit. I'm not convinced that's true, so any measurements or photos you could take would be great.

It was mentioned earlier that KL makes a manifold for an upright engine, but I don't see that anywhere on the site.

this sounds about right; you decided you didn't want to make one, so now you can just buy one and then re-make it to fit :-P

this sounds about right; you decided you didn't want to make one, so now you can just buy one and then re-make it to fit :-P

The real bummer is that I DID make one, but then tried to weld it myself and completely ruined it. Now I want to figure out how to not make another one from scratch, and if that involves buying one and modifying it, I may do it.

Ordering is good. I bought intake for 8v and it was at my door step in ten days. I don?t think you can get a better intake for the money. I?m waiting on my 8v head to be done then gonna install it with the head. 8v and 16v intake look similar. I know mine will fit with no problems. I seen some pic of 16v, I?ll see if I can find them.

My 8v intake hit the hood, but I am running a flathood. I had to section the runners and angle the plenum down.

No regrets on ordering as others have said.

My 8v intake hit the hood, but I am running a flathood. I had to section the runners and angle the plenum down.

No regrets on ordering as others have said.

I just looked at your 242 thread to see a pic of the manifold mounted. The 16v valve one has much shorter runners, and it SEEMS like it would fit in my car with an upright 16v, but maybe I'd need to change the angle of the TB.

Why not just get Yoshifab to make you one?

I haven't talked to him about it, but I don't want the kind that he makes using the stock runners and his plenum. And I'm sure he could make me whatever I want, but I doubt I'd want to pay for his time to do it. Also, I really prefer the look of a cast intake manifold.

I still can't believe I had a manifold basically all tacked up, and now I'm back in this position. :doh:

Why not cut it back apart, flatten and polish everything out? Tack together again and have it done if you?re not comfy trying it again?

I blasted more than a couple holes in some parts. The injector bungs gave me the most issues. I could cut the plenum off, make new runners/injector bungs, and try to flatten the head flange back out (it warped a lot). But that's a ton of work to be left with a manifold that was pretty compromised to fit around the brake booster. So now that I've decided to do a remote booster of some kind, I might as well design a better manifold, or buy one.

Why not take the happy medium approach and have someone with all the aluminum TIG skill bridge the gap on the tricky spots once you have an optimized manifold mocked up?

Why not take the happy medium approach and have someone with all the aluminum TIG skill bridge the gap on the tricky spots once you have an optimized manifold mocked up?

That was the plan on the manifold I made, to have Noah finish weld it. But it's always hard to find time that works, and I got too excited with my new welder. We could definitely do it again, but the thought of building another manifold from scratch right now is depressing. Plus there's SO much other stuff that needs to be done still.

Right now I'm torn between just buying the KL flange and runner section and making a plenum to suit my car, or buying the whole thing, knowing I'll probably have to modify the plenum.

Back