• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Purple '97 960 Wagon Build Thread

FlyingTog

B6304 douche
My 960 as of November 2013:

June 2013:

Video as of February 2014.

http://youtu.be/NAWtz5XgiKk

HP: Custom fabricated cold air intake with an 8x6-5 inch K&N cone filter, stainless steel BMW M50 header from OBX with custom Volvo flanges welded on, 3" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust all the way back with a high flow race cat, a QTP electric cutout and a Dynomax Ultraflo muffler.

Suspension: Aluminum front lower control arms from a '98 V90. Kaplhenke coilovers front and rear on the lowest setting, Kaplhenke adjustable upper strut mounts and a Volvo "road holding" rear leaf spring.

Other performance: M90 5 speed transmission with a new 850 Turbo clutch and flywheel assembly, Craving Boost short throw M90 shifter, 235/40-18 Continental Exteme Contact DW tires and the G80 locker mod.

Interior: Red LEDs EVERYWHERE! Cobra Kevlar single piece side mount racing seat, 740 manual seat slider, Kaplhenke Racing seat adapters, Kaplhenke Racing 6 bolt steering wheel adapter, Sparco R333 suede steering wheel, relocated switches, deleted door chime, decorative trim rings in the gauge cluster, Clarion CX501 head unit and a V90 center console.

Exterior: Europlate, e-code front turn signals and fender repeaters, flat black grill now with newer slash from an S80, headlight wiper delete, 18x8 Volvo OEM Pegasus R wheels and Volvo branded Thule roof racks. Also relocated my legal license plate to my roof rack fairing. Volvo paint code is 433. Blackberry Wine Metallic. OEM mudflaps front and rear.

Other: Fire truck dual tone air horn hidden behind the bumper, Cobra 29XLR CB radio and a PA speaker hooked to the CB and hidden behind the grill. Also, TRAILER HITCH.

Very soon: 35% window tint all around, reinstall PC cams, tuned M4.4 and/or MS3X.

Soon: Big brakes.

Eventually: B6304/T6 hybrid engine with RSI pistons and rods, a Holset, ported and polished early B6304 head with PC cams and a Getrag 420G 6 speed transmission.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice. Unique colour for a unique car! Looking forward to your updates.

Thanks! When I found this on eBay I liked the color, but it wasn't my first choice. The more I looked into the color, the more I found out that it was fairly rare and it grew on me a lot! By the time bidding for the car came around, I knew I wanted it.

Like the car, however your driving is apparently the lose.

Hahaha! It used to be! I was a stupid 18 year old guy with a RWD car. At the time it was also a new car to me and I had only had my license for about a year. I haven't crashed since then (knock on wood) in anything and I'm a much better driver now. I've done track days and autocrosses, I race go karts during the summer and I usually place within the top three if I'm competitively driving, whether it be autocross in pretty much any car (I can drive my friends cars faster than they can) or go karts. I now know the limits of myself and my cars, I've learned plenty of proper driving techniques and I have very good car control.

Last edited:
My co-worker has a 960 in 418. His is slow as a monkey and annoys me that he thinks its better than my T5 :lol:

But still, I look forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve with that T6 :ninja:

Pete, great write-up man!

The grill looks absolutely fantastic! I Love it!
And I'm glad your rockin' the "Uglies" again. I love those wheels.

I hope your parts are shipped early enough so you can complete your M90 swap in time for Carlisle!

Wagons Rule ALL!!

edit: oh and your swede plate is properly paired with the car! nice an subtle.

I like to gauge trim where did you get them?

I got them on eBay. Should pop up on a search like "gauge cluster trim" or something. Here is something similar. You might be able to find the Volvo rings through this page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336150d876

Pretty easy to install.

Pete, great write-up man!

The grill looks absolutely fantastic! I Love it!
And I'm glad your rockin' the "Uglies" again. I love those wheels.

I hope your parts are shipped early enough so you can complete your M90 swap in time for Carlisle!

Wagons Rule ALL!!

edit: oh and your swede plate is properly paired with the car! nice an subtle.

Thanks, dude! I hope I get my parts and get it together in time, too. I'm going to be so bummed if I can't.

Nice job getting **** done, the heater core on these cars isn't as bad as it first seems is it :)

Any useful tips or pointers on the cam swap? I'm doing the same to mine soon.

Nice job getting **** done, the heater core on these cars isn't as bad as it first seems is it :)

Any useful tips or pointers on the cam swap? I'm doing the same to mine soon.

The heater core job was definitely not as bad as it was made out to be. I found it to be pretty easy and straight forward, actually. I wouldn't mind doing it again.

Useful cam swap pointers... Hmm... I'll PM you with some pointers real quick.

Update to this thread a bit: Waiting for clutch parts to arrive, then the M90 can go in! Can't wait! Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. I want this together for Carlisle!

P.S. John's (Craving Boost) M90 short throw shifter is mind blowing! I'm so lucky to have gotten my hands on one.

Back