• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

1. Low Speed: Circuit #7

2. High Speed: Circuit #22

Well....Logic might suggest to hook a ground circuit to Radiator's Temp Sensor and hook other side of it to #7 relay spade; and inside of vehicle use a grounded switch for Circuit #22's spade terminal on relay.

Since your vehicle does not have an AC....then low speed circuit should handle radiator OK...but you can hook it up any way you choose. Where you live, it should only be the hot days when you need high speed fan if your cooling system is fit for duty.

Does your radiator-temp-sensor sense actual anti-freeze liquid, or just radiator's metal?

Maybe you could ask FCP directly what temperature does this temp sensor switch to on, and if they have a lower switching temperature.

Okay so just have two wires coming from the temp switch (ground and low speed) and then wire the high speed wire to a switch inside the car? and the radiator temp sensor is actually sensing the coolant liquid itself NOT the metal.

I would assume you will be taking wiring harness out of 1995 anyway...correct.....if true, yes, you can use those wires from 1995 ECU....will need to convert to E-Fan, of course.

I would leave wiring harness intact when it is removed....your word "rip the wires" I don't understand.

I'm not using any of the 940s harness. No reason too. the 240 is LH 2.4 like the 1995. I will be using the 1995s computers though. So all i would need would be the wiring from the ecu to the fan relay out of my 1995s harness.

Sorry I cant explain my idea too well :oops:

I'm not using any of the 940s harness. No reason too. the 240 is LH 2.4 like the 1995. I will be using the 1995s computers though. So all i would need would be the wiring from the ecu to the fan relay out of my 1995s harness.

I can't make a comment here....usually in automotive world, when several years pass by...you can't plug a later ECU into earlier ECU's wiring harness....if both are exactly the same, LH 2.4, then it should have wiring there on 240.

I would do a setup like OldSchoolEuro...and not mess with ECU....Based upon my LH 2.0, it would be a pain to add wires to it.

I have no idea why the AC kicks in the fan....is this done for AC's high pressure switch (high head pressure)? If so, and if you have AC, there is a way to kick in high speed fan with another relay.

Awesome. Wired up a switch to the high speed wire and it works beautifully. I needed to fill up some switch spaces in my center control panel.

I think I am going to need a new e fan because when the fan is about to turn off it squeaks but when its running its fine.

I think I am going to need a new e fan because when the fan is about to turn off it squeaks but when its running its fine.

My e-fan sat around, then when it got used again, it too would squeak when first powered up, then it got better, now I don't hear anything when it turns on.

Manually spin the blade....and manually see if you can feel free play in fan's bushing/bearing

OK so I see that some people put the saab sensor in the upper hose and some people put it in the lower. Which way does coolant flow through this engine and what are the pros and cons to each way? I have mine in the lower hose now but it leaks and wants to rub on the ac line so that's a def con.

For an ECU controlled fan, which LH2.4 ecus have fan control? I have a 954 ECU from a 940 turbo I plan on using when I convert my 240 to LH2.4, the 940 I got it from didn't have an electric fan, but will the ECU be able to control an electric fan setup from a later 940?

For an ECU controlled fan, which LH2.4 ecus have fan control? I have a 954 ECU from a 940 turbo I plan on using when I convert my 240 to LH2.4, the 940 I got it from didn't have an electric fan, but will the ECU be able to control an electric fan setup from a later 940?

all 9xx ecu's have the fan controller

OK so I see that some people put the saab sensor in the upper hose and some people put it in the lower. Which way does coolant flow through this engine and what are the pros and cons to each way? I have mine in the lower hose now but it leaks and wants to rub on the ac line so that's a def con.
Coolant flows from the engine to the radiator through the upper hose. Lower hose with an 91/87C temp switch works best. You'll need a much higher temp switch in the upper hose otherwise the fan will be running all the time and it will be slower to react.

Cool that's what i wanted to know. Now I just need to fix my leaky POS saab switch. Guess that's what i get for using a saab switch :-P

Where does the Saab switch leak from? If it's from where the sensor screws into the T-fitting, you may need a new gasket/O-ring there to prevent leakage.

Yea I think it's the o ring. I am going to deal with it some day soon, probably put a new switch in too for good measure.

Back