• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Torque wrench recommendation for 240 work

thefamilyman

I need to purchase a torque wrench so I can work on my 240. But I'd prefer to not search through the entire VADIS program looking for the min. and max. torques required. Does anyone know what torque wrench I need to cover the min/max torque ranges? And the drive size I should be purchasing would also be helpful (1/4", 3/4", etc.).

I bought a 1/2" torque wrench from Harbor Freight for like $15 last year. It's been able to handle everything I've thrown at it.

that's the one thing I would never get from that place....is it a clicky or a needle gauge oldskool one like the garage sale sears ones I have

I need to purchase a torque wrench so I can work on my 240. But I'd prefer to not search through the entire VADIS program looking for the min. and max. torques required. Does anyone know what torque wrench I need to cover the min/max torque ranges? And the drive size I should be purchasing would also be helpful (1/4", 3/4", etc.).

you need like 160+ for the crankshaft harmonic balancer bolt, 1/2" drive will do about 98% of all the stuff you need done

1/2" drive will do crank pulley bolts, head bolts, lug nuts, wheel hub nut and stuff like that. 3/8" is best for things like cam caps, spark plugs, and timing belt rollers. 1/4" (usually in in/lbs) is for small or really precise stuff, it hardly ever comes out of my toolbox.

that's the one thing I would never get from that place....is it a clicky or a needle gauge oldskool one like the garage sale sears ones I have

Your opinion but they are decent and I would say would do just fine on a tank like a 240
Car Craft torque wrench testing

Edit: That is just one of the tests that I have seen that shows that the harbor freight torque wrench is a good deal for the money. At $10 each with the coupon, I have the 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" in the toolbox.

I do however have a set of the Craftsman needle type torque wrenches when I want to see numbers instead of waiting on the click.

Last edited:
Your opinion but they are decent and I would say would do just fine on a tank like a 240
Car Craft torque wrench testing
Edit: That is just one of the tests that I have seen that shows that the harbor freight torque wrench is a good deal for the money. At $10 each with the coupon, I have the 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" in the toolbox.
I do however have a set of the Craftsman needle type torque wrenches when I want to see numbers instead of waiting on the click.

just got my "Jan flyer from Harbour Fright"....
1/4" lot number 2696 / 61277
3/8" lot number 807 /61276
1/2" lot number 239
*ALL* of the above @ $ 11.99 each.....

I have a couple of them already....my MAIN "go to" torque wrenches are
SnapOff clickers and dial types (a half dozen or so) and one small ancient
1/4" "beam type" that I got at a gummint auction/sale....

the Harbour Fright rigs will serve you well...if you intend to go pro then
buy pro gear....MUCH more $$$$ and modest increase in effectiveness...

the caveat here is that *most* of the clicker type are accurate (for
the precision of their repeatability) in the upper third quarter of their scale:
0 to 100 lbs ft scale means the wrench will be at it best from 50 to 75
lbs ft.....you can *cheat the wrench* using a "torque adaptor" that will
shift the range as you need it...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=674854&store=snapon-store
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=674855&store=snapon-store

hope this helps....

Canada-land, I use a MasterCraft Maximum 3/8" in-lb wrench for small(ish) stuff, and a 1/2" ft-lb wrench for bigger things like wheel nuts.

I find the HF piece is plenty accurate(had the cal checked on Snap Ons machine even), but sometimes launch parts of itself into the woods, where a good wrench will not.

My SK has a much better feel, but if I only used it a few times a month, maybe not worth the extra $80.

Good idea to *ALSO* get a 3/8 drive INCH/POUND torque wrench while you're at it. Especially if you ever plan to torque the smaller bolts/spark plugs/etc that will soon be needed

Thanks for the replies... I missed the HF sale by one day. I don't suppose they regularly have those 3 for that price?

Also a question for TrickMick:

You mentioned using a torque adaptor to cheat the wrench. I initially assumed you meant using a torque adaptor shifts the operating range of a torque wrench into the more accurate region of its torque range. But the snapon site at least, says their torque adaptors are used to reach fasteners located in a difficult position...

Did I misunderstand? Or is there another brand/type that does what I first thought you meant??

Thanks for the replies... I missed the HF sale by one day. I don't suppose they regularly have those 3 for that price?

Also a question for TrickMick:

You mentioned using a torque adaptor to cheat the wrench. I initially assumed you meant using a torque adaptor shifts the operating range of a torque wrench into the more accurate region of its torque range. But the snapon site at least, says their torque adaptors are used to reach fasteners located in a difficult position...

Did I misunderstand? Or is there another brand/type that does what I first thought you meant??

see:
http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/torque/torque.html

you had the right thought....*but* SnapOff *DOTH PURVEY* "specialized torque adaptors"
(I have several in the 3/8" drive size for getting into MOTORCYCLE HEADS and CYLINDER
BASE NUTS)....

they even have "pLug-in type" digital torquemeters that you can use to set-up
an extension
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EeQeH5YAcA

hope these help!

Last edited:
Back