• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Thunderbird t-5 Swap?

icdpride

So I found a dirt cheap t-5 for sale but it seems like it is out of a 80s turbo thunderbird, so I am betting I know the answer to my own question but here it is any way.

What kind of power would this trans hold?

Is it an improvement over the m-46 I currently have?

Should I wait for a cd09 or a v8 wc T-5?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_SVO#Turbocharged_power
SVO/Turbocoupe were rated for ~200hp/240tq.

The 4-cyl T5 gear ratios are not much different than an M46. Some of the benefit of a V8 WC T5 is the different gear ratios and a longer 1st gear.

Can it physically fit and be made to work? Yes...but may not be ideal depending on your goals.

Also be aware that a T5 is a noisier transmission than an M46.

T5 ratios
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

M46 ratios
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=104624&highlight=ratio+chart

Torque capacity of the nasty Thunderchicken T5 is a lowly about 240 ft/lbs.. that, coupled with the useless pick up truck granny low means the cost/benefit calc is poor..

get the right thing.

The normal, common Ford V8 T5 has a 3.35 First, more or less same as the Ford Type 9 in 2300 SOHC turbo Xratties (which I have a number of and had dozens over the years.. THEY want a longer first....(they have 3.64 final drive)
EVERY Xrattista who goes go the T5 with 2.95 first say "best mod EVAR"

Torque capacity of the nasty Thunderchicken T5 is a lowly about 240 ft/lbs.. that, coupled with the useless pick up truck granny low means the cost/benefit calc is poor..

get the right thing.

The normal, common Ford V8 T5 has a 3.35 First, more or less same as the Ford Type 9 in 2300 SOHC turbo Xratties (which I have a number of and had dozens over the years.. THEY want a longer first....(they have 3.64 final drive)
EVERY Xrattista who goes go the T5 with 2.95 first say "best mod EVAR"

Gotcha thanks for the info I will pass even if it is only $75 lol

Minor thread jack but it's relevant.

Also be aware that a T5 is a noisier transmission than an M46.

This concerns me for my future 242 build. I previously had a Getrag 265 in my 242 turbo I sold and hated how much it rattled and how noisy it was. I was thinking about a T5 swap but have seen other people mention it being noisy too. Any better manual options for 300hp+ that are available in the states?

That isn't the complete story. It depends on what year Thunderchicken the T-5 is out of. Later TCs run the World Class T-5. Plenty of TCs and SVO Mustangs have put 350-400 HP through those transmissions without breaking them. I like the gearing on the TC/SVO T-5 for a street driven car. Also, they are not a noising transmission and shift great. There is no comparison between an M46 and a T-5.

Minor thread jack but it's relevant.

This concerns me for my future 242 build. I previously had a Getrag 265 in my 242 turbo I sold and hated how much it rattled and how noisy it was. I was thinking about a T5 swap but have seen other people mention it being noisy too. Any better manual options for 300hp+ that are available in the states?

cd09

This concerns me for my future 242 build. I previously had a Getrag 265 in my 242 turbo I sold and hated how much it rattled and how noisy it was. I was thinking about a T5 swap but have seen other people mention it being noisy too.

The common theme that I have read (and experienced) is mainly that the T5 rattles at idle and tends to have a decel rattle at a certain rpm band (harmonics). There are many variables and personal preference that contribute to how bad or not bad it is in your application, but it’s something to think about. Best idea I’d find someone with a swapped car and have them take you for a spin.

I do agree that the T5 shifts way better than a M4x...that is part of the reason I did the swap. Overall I really like the way the car drives with the T5 but had to adjust to it making some noises that the M45 I took out didn’t make.

There were quite a few design changes along the way with the T-5. One that I installed in a Chevy Luv pick up behind a 3.8 Buick V6 did what you are talking about. That trans was somewhat noisy ever though we had rebuilt it. It was one of the early non-World Class GM versions. There were some changes to the bearing designs over the years. All the T-5s in my Thunderbird TCs were/are quiet as a church mouse. I've had about 10 of those over the years.

There were quite a few design changes along the way with the T-5. One that I installed in a Chevy Luv pick up behind a 3.8 Buick V6 did what you are talking about. That trans was somewhat noisy ever though we had rebuilt it. It was one of the early non-World Class GM versions. There were some changes to the bearing designs over the years. All the T-5s in my Thunderbird TCs were/are quiet as a church mouse. I've had about 10 of those over the years.

Lucky. My 96 Ford V6 box makes all sorts of interesting noises.

Back