• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 245 Turbo fails smog NO (PPM) only..

HACK7

Hey Everyone,

Not to bore everyone with another smog issue but..

I failed the emissions portion of the CA smog test.

passed visual inspection
passed functional check
emissions test failed= gross polluter

Failed CA smog due to NO (PPM) only.
The numbers are:
RPM %CO2 %O2 HC (PPM) CO(%) NO (PPM)
MEAS MEAS MEAS MAX GP MEAS MAX GP MEAS MAX GP MEAS
15mph 1911 12.7 2.6 130 306 75 0.81 2.31 0.49 1115 2123 2317
25mph 1893 12.7 2.5 105 256 73 0.61 2.11 0.54 945 1923 2192

(for those not familiar with California abbreviations)
MEAS= amount measured
MAX = maximum allowed emissions
GP = gross polluter limits

My brick is an 84 245 stock 2.1turbo with inter-cooler..

1500 miles on fresh mobil 1 synthetic /mann filter, new paper air filter 2K ago, new plugs 2K ago, replaced most if not all emission hoses, cap rotor and ht wires 35K or so ago

Think I may have issue with in-tank fuel pump, does run better with full tank. I replaced the sock and hose on it but not the pump 5K ago ran good for a while, main pump is noticeably noisy when tank get below half. Sometimes when tank is full so I can't call it...

Sometimes when I'm on the pedal really hard it feels like the cars transmission slips just for a moment, the motor does not die it just doesn't seem to have power for a moment (3 seconds?)..its got an stock auto box 71.

Engine burns a quart of oil every two months.

I changed the turbo (pnp 740T stock Air Research oil cooled, set at stock boost) had it check by a trusted pro prior to install, turbo is excellent..no leaks, great boost. Old one was trash.

I also enlarged the vent hole on the 'nipple' pipe located on top of the oil vapor separator 'box' on the left side of the block and put a little larger hose (old hose was brittle and broke in my hand) from nipple to the intake pipe..did stop most of the seepage from around the oil fill cap but some oil still accumulates there....

Love the car...but don't have the cash to hire a pro..

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
HACK

<TABLE BORDER=1 WIDTH="600" HEIGHT="100" CELLPADDING=3 CELLSPACING=3>
<TR>
<TH>MPH</TH>
<TH>MEAS</TH>
<TH>MEAS</TH>
<TH>MEAS</TH>
<TH>MAX</TH>
<TH>GP</TH>
<TH>MEAS</TH>
<TH>MAX</TH>
<TH>GP</TH>
<TH>MEAS</TH>
<TH>MAX</TH>
<TH>GP</TH>
<TH>MEAS</TH>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>15mph</TD>
<TD>1911</TD>
<TD>12.7</TD>
<TD>2.6</TD>
<TD>130</TD>
<TD>306</TD>
<TD>75</TD>
<TD>0.81</TD>
<TD>2.31</TD>
<TD>0.49</TD>
<TD>1115</TD>
<TD>2123</TD>
<TD>2317</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>25mph</TD>
<TD>1893</TD>
<TD>12.7</TD>
<TD>2.5</TD>
<TD>105</TD>
<TD>256</TD>
<TD>73</TD>
<TD>0.61</TD>
<TD>2.11</TD>
<TD>0.54</TD>
<TD>945</TD>
<TD>1923</TD>
<TD>2192</TD>
</TR>

</TABLE>

Riverside County Scottyd....yep, I'd like to get it smogged and on the road. Would like to sort it out properly if possible.

Thanks PrB...I'd take you up on the pump but I'd probably be stopped driving that far..Appreciate it though! We've got some nice pick a parts down here...just need to know what may be the issue to get through the smog..will sort the pumps out later. Don't think the transmission has an issue but not sure what's going on there..problem is only when I'm on it really hard....then just for a few seconds..

I had the same problem with my 89 240NA. I changed the cat. Upon removal I noticed the old cat was basically a straight pipe (oops). Once I changed the cat it passed with flying colors.

K how's your oxygen sensor and cat?

edit// look above. That can be an issue. Replace the o2 sensor too. They're super cheap. Just get the universal 1 wire one from bosch. Does great.

I'm thinking it's the Cat. HC and CO are a little higher than average and there's plenty of O2 that Cat didn't use. Make sure there are no issues with timing advance- that can drive NOx high.

I'm thinking it's the Cat. HC and CO are a little higher than average and there's plenty of O2 that Cat didn't use. Make sure there are no issues with timing advance- that can drive NOx high.

Also, the CO2 readings are lower than they should be. With a properly functioning cat, the co2 should be up around 13.5-14.5%.

Thanks everyone for the tips and professional opinions!!!!!!

I think the timing may be a tad off.especially considering I did the timing belt myself.guy at the smog shop said it was dead on but........I snagged the greenbooks from the K.jet website (thanks!) so now I'm checking everything on the car.

I'm thinking the cat is bad also..a while back when I changed the turbo I removed the plug on the exhaust pipe just before the cat and it made NO change in the way the car ran so I didn't think about it anymore. I removed the plug because I though perhaps the bad turbo had dumped oil or whatever into the cat.

Think it may be the original cat though..coming up on 300K miles so changing it would probably be the #1 solution. Need to find one cheap, as you all know pick a part can't sell them. I've looked online @ the usual volvo part shops but they don't sell a CA cat..last year I went over to Autozone they had a universal CA cat I think it was around $160?

I removed the oxygen sensor when I changed the turbo..did not check it so that should probably be replaced also..It is a one wire sensor.

It's been raining here for a week now. I smogged my car in the rain. Just read don't do that so I'm sure that didn't help either..

When it drys up a bit here I'll go out and check the oxygen sensor out. Anybody got a good way to check the cat condition with the usual tools? I've got an auto-ranging multimeter it does have the temp test feature.

I truly appreciate the help. I don't have the cash to go and replace bits that may be good. So ruling out things really helps!

I'll keep you all posted...

Thanks again everyone. You guys are really helpful!
HACK

If you bring in your car for smog check while it's raining they have to dry the tires by running it on the dyno for few minutes before they do the actual test. That helps the Cat to really warm up too, so you'd have a better chance to pass.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the smog program here in CA. You qualify if they send you to a smog only station. Items I need are way too expensive for me at this time...

Appreciate all the tips and help.
HACK

I had issues on the NO too. It was several things. I have an 87 245DL. Air leak in the intake tube, fixed. Cold air flap in the air box stuck in the open (hot) position, fixed. Timing, fixed. Missing a vacuum line, fixed. Result = passed. Total cost in parts was less than $50. The mechanic was telling me to sell it on craigslist and buy another one. The biggest drop in score was from the airbox repair. Good luck.

I had issues on the NO too. It was several things. I have an 87 245DL. Air leak in the intake tube, fixed. Cold air flap in the air box stuck in the open (hot) position, fixed. Timing, fixed. Missing a vacuum line, fixed. Result = passed. Total cost in parts was less than $50. The mechanic was telling me to sell it on craigslist and buy another one. The biggest drop in score was from the airbox repair. Good luck.

Ooo I forgot about that stupid airflap. The car is kjet though so thats not an issue.

Back