• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 IRS Stuupid question..Maybe

tomcat

Ok, I know this is probably a lame stupid question but bear with me anyway. Is it possible to run a nivomat rear leaf with the shocks off the non nivomat rear leaf?, if it is then what could I expect?, if it's not then why not?, will it be too soft. Before you all start shouting coilovers at me, I know, I need some but money's tight at the moment and I'm sick of my car's arse end sticking up in the air so I'm looking at cheaper temporary solutions (for now anyway). Any and all help very greatfully received.

Last edited:
you could it would just sit lower than normal as the nivos are what give the car the hight in those cars and I think it would ride like crap but it would work.

Is there another model in the range that has IRS besides the damned 960?, I've been looking at pics tonight of another car that was facelifted to look like a 960 (maybe 740?) but I can't find anything on Vadis that's not got a live axle.

960 IRS Stupid Qustion

the 1988-1990 760 sedan had IRS. But this 760 with IRS used coil springs.The 88-90 760wagon had rigid rear axle.

can you take pics of your IRS or post a diagram?

maybe the current spring can be moved or relocated or flipped or ?

This is a pic of the car I've seen with a similar rear end (albeit with springs and shocks), other than the lower arm the rest seems very similar to what's already on my car with the transverse leaf.

703469_c5c07j.jpg

Some of the rear suspension is missing (hub etc) but you can see that the top spring mount is the same as a 960, just appears that the lower arm is different,if this is the case then maybe it could be something that could be swapped in, just work out how to support the diff and change the lower arm.

Leave it up high till you can afford to do it right mate. Who cares if it's high for now. At least it works. Save the money for the big thing rather then lots of small things.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would but it's bugging the crap out of me, I hate having such a massive gap in the wheel arch, neeeeds lowering.

Got my head around it today.. The rear end in the pic is off an early 960 saloon (say 91-92), they had a similar IRS setup to the later cars but didn't have the stupid composit leaf setup, would I be able to slot the entire IRS setup from an early car onto mine (provided I can find one that is)?, would save all that arsing around with the damn leaf and coilovers, I could just run uprated springs and shocks then.

The rear end in the pic is off an early 960 saloon (say 91-92), they had a similar IRS setup to the later cars but didn't have the stupid composit leaf setup, would I be able to slot the entire IRS setup from an early car onto mine (provided I can find one that is)?, would save all that arsing around with the damn leaf and coilovers, I could just run uprated springs and shocks then.

Why?
If you've ever driven an early 960 w/coils and compare to the later 960 w/leaf, the leaf susp handles far better. Bite the bullet and get the Volvo rear leaf sport suspension kit, it's really the only game in town for the 960. Everything else is a waste of time. IMHO, I wouldn't butcher my 960 to find out.

I'm fairly certain that it would be fitable, but the gas tank would need to be swapped out as it is different. I know a Volvo mechanic that took an entire IRS from a '95 960 and direct bolted it into an '89 740T, so you can do it the other way 'round.

Why?
If you've ever driven an early 960 w/coils and compare to the later 960 w/leaf, the leaf susp handles far better. Bite the bullet and get the Volvo rear leaf sport suspension kit, it's really the only game in town for the 960. Everything else is a waste of time. IMHO, I wouldn't butcher my 960 to find out.
Do you have a part number for that? Do you have to get it shipped over from the EU? Est Price?

Last edited:
Why?

I'm fairly certain that it would be fitable, but the gas tank would need to be swapped out as it is different. I know a Volvo mechanic that took an entire IRS from a '95 960 and direct bolted it into an '89 740T, so you can do it the other way 'round.

As far as I know it's not available anymore, I asked at my friendly dealership recently and the part number has been deleted. Don't suppose you know the part number off hand so i can try and locate it?.

I don't know the kit p/n, but the leaf is 6819301, and "order by application" notated, which could mean sedan, wagon, sport, etc.
IIRC the kit came with leaf, bigger sway bar (22mm is p/n 9140599) and gas shocks, 271899

Noobish question:
I thought 95- 960s didn't come with self leveling? In the description it says:
Roadholding kit, Rear for 964 1995- with levelling system and rear axel multi-link. Lowering 18-20 mm depending on variant.

It was an option that year (and years thereafter)

It doesn't really matter since the kit replaces the shock & spring to a non-Nivo set-up.

Note that the p/n are SAM, not Volvo. Don't know what the Volvo p/n's are, but AFIK not offered by Volvo anymore.

Back