• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Is this wheel bearing bad?

CAPT_BLOTTO

#Crush It
Rear wheel bearing on an 85 245. The bearing has this loose part.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p2VMJZyw5uY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.ruville.de/fileadmin/user_upload/redaktion/pdfs/Technikbroschueren/GB/TB_Radlager_GB.pdf

FROM *SKF* (a *motherhlode doc*)
https://ec.kamandirect.com/content/resources/2010/downloads/skf_bearing_failureandcauses.pdf

here's the quick and dirty from TIMKEN:
http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/maintdiag/Documents/6347.pdf

I'll see if I can find the BOWER / BCA pdf that ai have on file here
@ the gearhead ranch...it's a keeper too...HERE is the *NTN* Bower / BCA
thechical catalogue..THIS is HUGE and has more teh info than you'll ever need...

http://www.ntnamericas.com/en/websi...n_a1000xi_ball_and_roller_bearings_lowres.pdf

Last edited:
The bearing is a standard tapered roller bearing and race, but its held together by that piece your playing with in the video. It's also a dust seal. It might rattle and leak grease, but I don't think it will hurt anything. You might try tapping or prying it back into place after reinstalling the axle.
384728.jpg

The bearing is a standard tapered roller bearing and race, but its held together by that piece your playing with in the video. It's also a dust seal. It might rattle and leak grease, but I don't think it will hurt anything. You might try tapping or prying it back into place after reinstalling the axle.
[I'M]http://images.imcparts.net/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/full/384728.jpg[/IMG]

The problem is I've been having a vibration and noise at highway speeds and I'm trying to figure out where its coming from.

How many miles on those rear axle gearings? If 150,000 plus on 'em , I'd replace them before they finally die & ruin your axles.

Be sure to pack the new ones with grease. They are not lubed via diff's oil.

Your NVH might be due to rotted LTA bushings. Bad rear axle brgs can do it too. They'll be of a cyclic low pitched rumrumrum type noise *usually* IME. But so does rotted LTA bushes......

You can try putting the car on jack stands and having someone run it thru the gears while listening with a long piece of hose or a stethoscope to pinpoint the source of the noise. Put the stands under the axle to load the suspension. Obviously, be careful and make sure the car can't fall off the stands.

How many miles on those rear axle gearings? If 150,000 plus on 'em , I'd replace them before they finally die & ruin your axles.

Be sure to pack the new ones with grease. They are not lubed via diff's oil.

Your NVH might be due to rotted LTA bushings. Bad rear axle brgs can do it too. They'll be of a cyclic low pitched rumrumrum type noise *usually* IME. But so does rotted LTA bushes......

The car is 1985 but it hass less than 140k on it. However the car was sitting for many years and even the axles has a bit of rust on them. It doesn't seem like was where the noise was coming from though.

drive shaft support bearing and bushing??? how are the bushings in the rear end?

unbolt the drive shaft support bracket and spin the bearing by hand if you don't have any other means to test it.

The car is 1985 but it hass less than 140k on it. However the car was sitting for many years and even the axles has a bit of rust on them. It doesn't seem like was where the noise was coming from though.

They tend to go out more on cold weather cars, as the grease stays too thick.

Warm climate cars will go forever and not puke a seal or wear the bearings appreciably.

drive shaft support bearing and bushing??? how are the bushings in the rear end?

unbolt the drive shaft support bracket and spin the bearing by hand if you don't have any other means to test it.

^ :nod:

I've had the center support bearing go out and whip the rubber support donut & preload spring all to hell.

Raising or lowering the car will play tricks on the set up, sometimes you need to shim it up or down a bit to make it happy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
NB:

You can't be beating on the outer race when you install the new bearing.

Chase it around with a flat screwdriver or knock it straight on with a piece of tubing that just fits over the shaft.

Last edited:

So where does the noise seem to be coming from? rear? front? center? Or is it hard to tell? Have a passenger ride in the back, on one side, then the other, & the two of you determine where it's coming from.

From the fact the car has been *sitting for many years*, I'd *highly suspect* the big end LTA bushings on the diff hsg brackets,especially on a 1985 240 if they've never, ever been replaced. Worn out/rotted LTA bushings will cause , hard to determine N/V/H You'll need to drop both of the rear lower trailing arms *to inspect them*

Also inspect the Center DS support bearing ,& it's rubber and maybe the u joints.

Make sure the two DS halves are properly aligned too ( -> <- marks on DS must align where the two slide together)

How are the motor mounts &trans mount? Is oil pan sitting on the front cross member? Is it very difficult or impossible to remove the oil filter(sure signs of shot MMs)

Notice any extreme engine movement with brakes on and while letting clutch out or auto trans in gear and apply throttle?

I have replaced rear axle brgs on my 79 245 @ 220,000 miles, and they were making noise transmitted through the chassis. And I plan to do the 91 240's soon at 202,000.

Cheaper/easier to replace them early, than to wait until they ruin the axles.IMHO.

Back