• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Rotor and caliper removal before bearing access

Acid8000

I'm having a hallejuh of a time getting the caliper mounting bolts out so I can get the rotor off and repack my wheel bearings. Wondering if I can just open the calipers, they are the design where it's just one side piston. Speaking of; which are those anyway il need to know for future brake pad change.
1986 740ti
So Yeah, once you open the caliper you can like swing it up. Can you then at that point remove the rotor and get at the bearings. Or do I have to remove the caliper mounting bolts and swing the whole caliper assembly away..

The caliper bracket hangs over the outside of the rotor. Its's got to come off.

GR-49681.jpg

10mm Allen wrench, big hammer. I've removed several of these with the same 10mm allen wrench and never damaged the bolts.

Hammer? Okay.. I had made a breaker bar of sorts to fit on the Allan key. I figured the bolts were locktited. Tried torch. Not for very long but.. il go back at it with a rubber mallet. Or hammer..

Tight fitting 10mm Allen bit that fits on a decent 1/2” ratchet works pretty well...
Even the harbor fright bits and sockets have actually gotten fairly decent by now...
...and are harbor fright(eningly) dirt cheap.

They’re usually in there silly tight on 7/9s.

Have you converted your 86 to the 88+ style 2pc hub/rotors or does it still have the original rotors with the bearing in them?

Have you converted your 86 to the 88+ style 2pc hub/rotors or does it still have the original rotors with the bearing in them?

Are there ANY of the original style still on the road?

We were replacing that junk with separate hubs and rotors in 1989 at the dealership under warranty when they came in with a complaint of warped brakes.
The fix didn't solve rotors warping but made replacing rotors much easier.

I had one 3 years ago roll in and out and had to do the conversion in late 2015ish?

Stared in amazement scratching my head thinking the same thing “I thought these were all long dead/converted already.”

Super low miles old people owned 87 740.

I bought one last year with those things. High mileage car! And had an old man come 2 years ago and ask for new rotorbearings....

Just whack those bolts dead in the head a couple of times to break it free, then gently pound the allen bit in and it should undo just fine with a breaker bar. Like, 10.000/10.000 sucess rate.

Back