• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

01 gold s60 t5m spaceball

Bajorker

So I got ahold of this 2001 s60 as a non runner. I've talked to a few people and im under the impression this might be a somewhat rare car. It has ~170k on the clock, and im not sure if it will start or not yet. The previous owner said that when there was a battery in it, it would turn over but not start, which is worrisome. I'd just like to hear what you all think I should do with it if the motor is bad; put a new motor in or part it out. It does have a spaceball, and the interior seems like it could clean up well. Also, i'd really like a rough idea on how rare this particular color / trans combo is. I'd just really hate to see this clean of a car go to waste. Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/gHbWP1j

Last edited:
The car looks to be in great condition. At the worst case used engines are around if needed. Back when my brother was racing. The pace car for the Volvo historic series was first an automatic 2000 V70R. That was repalced with a 2001 5spd V70 T5m. That was the only manual I've ever seen from those years. Good luck with the project.

lZzLgJR.jpg

Check the timing belt first. If it's broken, you have begun your saga of pain.

well, the timing belt isn't broken; there's actually a brand new one with a new water pump. That's the sketchy part. I think if the engine is wrecked, either the new parts were put on after the belt broke, or the new belt was put on and the gears were misaligned. There is also no visible coolant in the reservoir, so that's another thing. Today was the first day I really got to look at it and clean it up a little; actually found some leftover baggies with remnants of "green plant" in them. The inside was very dirty, not even trash inside there was just so much rocks and sand. Here are some pictures from today's action, i unfortunately didn't get any after cleaning pictures yet. Thanks anyone for the help with my problemo.
Also, how did you guys just post a picture? Should i do that instead of linking to imgur?

https://imgur.com/a/o1jGbIT

First check crank and cam marks. If aligned and turns over, try to start it.

They're full of electrical gremlins but turns over and doesn't start smells like CPS. ECT likes to die and cause a no start as well. It's tucked beneath thermostat housing. Basic stuff, just like 7/9's...

Check compression, check for fuel, check for sparks. Coils die, enough of them goes and it won't start.

3$ ebay ELM327 and Torque will get you started on troubleshooting... But take codes eith a grain of salt.

That color is pretty common on european T-5s... If the long block is healthy, and it was cheap, it's worth fixing, they're good daily drivers.

Otherwise, throw a good engine in if economically feasible. Trying to fix a whiteblock is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.

ok thanks, ill have to try starting it when I get time. I have a vida dice, I was just wondering if it was a good idea to just crank it over. if anyone else has anymore tips please let me know. when you said the thing about fixing a whiteblock I kinda laughed because i had the feeling this was more of a redblock forum. maybe after I sell one of my 3 cars I can get something with a redblock. the volvo projects I have going on right now is kind of crazy. I have an 01 V70 T5 auto that my dad and I are rebuilding, and now I just bought another 450$ car with problems. i also have a 96 850 base sedan; which is my daily at the moment. now, which one to sell...

what do you think I should use to paint it, and should I do the drivers side backseat too so it matches? my dad did it on his white p2 xc70 with white spray paint, but I feel like maya gold paint is hard to find.

Paintscratch.com will have the correct color, including in a spray can.

I'd source a spare rocker from a state outside of the rust belt and replace it. It's not that hard to do and you'll be starting with a sound body.

Back