• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AMM Question Regarding LH2.2 to EZK117 Swap

mossicon

I am converting my '84 245 from LH2.1 to LH2.2 with EZK117, eventually buying the full harness conversion from Dave Barton. I have a question about two AMMs I found at my local junkyard. Both are Bosch P/N 0 280 212 007 required for the conversion, however, when looking at the 6-pin terminals, one has 3 adjoining terminals at one height, while the other three terminals are lower (not seen in the image of the AMM on the left). You can see the one on the right's terminals are all even. Has anyone run into this, especially with the conversion harness from Dave Barton: http://www.240turbo.com/volvoharnesses.html#240conversionharness

Any help would be of great help!

Dave Barton said he had never seen this. The picture does not show the pins that are there with the AMM on the left; they are just shorter in length. Here is a better image:

AMM2_zpsqbku3qmo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyone have any ideas? It's more a curiosity at this point.

I suppose if the pigtail makes good contact with the pins it should be fine. I would remove that cap off the adjustment screw in case the base AMM mix needs to be adjusted.

Thanks for the reply, holtzboy. And yeah, the cap I am sure will be coming off when I get the new harness installed and finally get it resurrected. :)

Anyone have any ideas? It's more a curiosity at this point.

I'd guess that it's a manufacturing defect. Staggered pins on connectors are only used when the connectors will be hot-swapped -- the longer pins are usually ground so that ground is connected before anything else when inserting, and ground stays connected after everything else when disconnecting.

You might try very gently pulling up on the lower pins to see if they move and snap into place.

Again, thank you all for the replies. At bobxyz, I did try to pull gently on the pins to no avail. Here is the image with the pins facing the camera:

AMM%203_zpskf0kxgy6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I found a good distributor needed for the swap, so now only need the harness. I really want to buy the harness from Dave Barton's site, but will not be able to afford it. Has anyone had any luck piecing together a harness for the conversion. I suppose you would need harnesses from a 240 with LH2.2 and a 740 with the EZK117 ICU? Here is an image of the pieces I have for the conversion. My LH2.1 has just been too much of a headache:

LH2.2%20EZK117%20Pieces_zpsutlcmo2w.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Has anyone had any luck piecing together a harness for the conversion. I suppose you would need harnesses from a 240 with LH2.2 and a 740 with the EZK117 ICU?

Yes, I did essentially what you listed there. If you are not afraid of some splicing/soldering/crimping, it isn't too bad.

I recommend separating the power stage from the heatsink (2 screws) and cleaning both sides and reapplying some thermal paste between the two. The powerstage does generate a bit of heat under normal operation and it is important to have a good connection to the heatsink. The one that I took apart essentially fell off the heat sink when the screws were removed. The thermal paste was very deteriorated.
I used this thermal paste with good results: https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-AS5-3-5G-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0087X728K

Last edited:
Yes, I did essentially what you listed there. If you are not afraid of some splicing/soldering/crimping, it isn't too bad.

I recommend separating the power stage from the heatsink (2 screws) and cleaning both sides and reapplying some thermal paste between the two. The powerstage does generate a bit of heat under normal operation and it is important to have a good connection to the heatsink. The one that I took apart essentially fell off the heat sink when the screws were removed. The thermal paste was very deteriorated.
I used this thermal paste with good results: https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-AS5-3-5G-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0087X728K

Thank you for the suggestion, oldschoolvolvo. I actually really like soldering and crimping, etc... I just was a little hesitant to make too many splices considering all of the difficulty I had with my LH2.1. I have had a lot of success using the Delphi weather packs, although I no longer have access to the nice crimpers and endless supply of terminals and connectors that I had at my old job. I believe I have seen threads on how to combine the 240 LH2.2 harness to the 740 EZK117 ICU connector, but I am drawing a blank at this time. Any good threads you could recommend on creating one's own harness? That would be swell.

Back