• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 245 estate = very uneconomical....!

Have you looked in to replacing the air filter with one from K&N? They offer a lifetime warranty, and since installing one in my '89 245, I've noticed a 1-2mpg jump and greater acceleration.

k&n filters are crap, they don't filter out the fine particles that your stock paper filter will.

Plus the stock paper filters on 240s are more than large enough to allow enough airflow to the engine under stock conditions and then some.

There's a reason Volvo shipped out these cars with the filters they did -- because they're engineered to work specifically to your car. K&N filters aren't.

O'rlly?
DVC01497_zps24b7832c.jpg

My airbox lid after 50K miles at least of K&N horror.
The radial marks are from the molding process.
EGR and PCV are probably both much greater particulate sources.

K&ns arent good for a maf or amm. The oil from the filter gets on the heated wire and makes them burn out. The egr and pcv should be downstream from the amm anyway.

To the op: you must be in europe. If you were in the states, a 15mpg car would be considered somewhat efficient.

converting from k-ket to a newer LH engine management will be the best bet for more mpg, plus swapping to a lower 3.31 rear end ratio and M47 transmission will help. My 88 245 with that combo averaged well over 30 on the highway, about 34mpg driving from washington to san fransisco and about 24-26 in town.

Except a 3.31 is "higher'.
Gawddam children gotta learn how to talk one day.

Remove the stupidheavy™ bling blong wrong wheels, and put on some nice 15x6 stock wheels that are specifically designed for the car with some 195-65-15's @ 36 psi for starters.

You mean, I can't get 30 mpg all the time with 18x10 wheels all the way around? What century is this! :wtf:

K&ns arent good for a maf or amm. The oil from the filter gets on the heated wire and makes them burn out. The egr and pcv should be downstream from the amm anyway.
To the op: you must be in europe. If you were in the states, a 15mpg car would be considered somewhat efficient.
Look closely at my airbox lid, it flows quite a bit better than most, because it doen't have any of that crap. The MAF isn't the only engine part sensitive to particulates though.

The sunroof looks factory.... I've only owned this fella for 2 months, but I'd say it's too slick to be an after-thought. Automatic transmission...

Post of picture of the sunroof release handle if you would. I wonder if it is also a BMW unit like the other one I know of.

Sunroofs were never available on 245's so it's probably not factory.

An easy way to know if it's carbed or FI: does it have a manual pull-out choke to the left of the steering column for cold starts?

You mean, I can't get 30 mpg all the time with 18x10 wheels all the way around? What century is this! :wtf:
71189vw-the_golf_gtd.jpg

It's powered by a 2.0-litre TDI engine that produces 182bhp and 380Nm of torque (30Nm more than the outgoing model) which helps it go from 0-62mph in just 7.5 seconds and reach a new top speed of 142mph. But despite the extra power, the new GTD's official fuel economy figures are better than for the first generation Golf BlueMotion.
The new GTD will return 57mpg and emit just 109g/km of C02 in manual trim.

The GTD gets similar visual upgrades to the flagship Golf GTI model, including twin chrome exhaust pipes, a rear diffuser, lowered sports suspension and a more aggressive front bumper and side skirts. Bespoke details include smoked LED Bi-xenon lights and 18-inch alloy wheels, while the interior gets grey tartan sports seats, a flat-bottomed steering wheel and bespoke instruments.
:e-shrug:

Sunroofs were never available on 245's so it's probably not factory.

An easy way to know if it's carbed or FI: does it have a manual pull-out choke to the left of the steering column for cold starts?

There's no manual pull-out choke, no...?

Back