home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #51
BDKR
Section 9

Test fit the wheels today and yesterday (as well as working on some other things). I have a set of 25mm front and 35mm rear spacers while the wheels are 18x8 and et38. For now I put a 25 on one side and a 35 on the other. The 35mm side looks awesome, but no amount of fender rolling on it is going to be enough. It looks like it's time to go more drastic.

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #52
BDKR
Section 9

Continuing on the theme of working with what I have as opposed to buying every new 53xii, the 6BTM is going back in.

It has a lot of features that'll come in handy and it's pretty much already wired to run in the car. The only addition I'll make is the below.

The ignition box current has a 6K rev limit module in it, but I'd like to run to 7K.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #53
BDKR
Section 9

So work has slowed a little. While waiting on the Kaphlenke spring perches i have given some thought to a couple of things. Buying a 1st gen Forester has also thrown some distraction into life as well.

One thing that happened is that once the trailing arms came out I couldn't find the Yoshi boxing plates i bought. But after some thought, do I really want to? I am also concerned at how difficult it may be to get those bushings in after seeing a Bamse episode where they ultim
ately had to use some gnarly hydraulic press to get in.

All that said, I do hope to get cutting on the rear fender wells this weekend and finish painting the valve cover so I can get engine zipped up.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #54
BDKR
Section 9

Wells cut. Now it's time to roll what's left and seal the edges.

It looks phucking awesome!

Now if Ben can get some parts out too me, I can put this thing on the ground and take another look.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #55
BDKR
Section 9

I think I'm in the doldrums of this effort. Waiting on parts is the worst. Banging away at fender wells on cold concrete floors does the soul no good. At least one side is done. I'll jack the rear axle back up this evening and check clearance but I'm already pretty positive I'm going to have to adjust the panhard rod. Thank God for being adjustable on the car!!!!!

Trying to keep things exciting and moving along in many different areas in some Gant-chart-esque manner, there are now numerous things undone but real close to being done. Kind of like how I clean house.

That said, perhaps I'll stay in the warm for a couple of days and finish painting and wet sanding some bits. I suspect that getting the calipers back on, snail hanging off the side of the lump, and the front of the motor zipped up will make me feel like I've made some progress.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #56
BDKR
Section 9

Well at least something has arrived!

Old 11-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #57
BDKR
Section 9

Well.... K-Jet fuel enrichment is challenged and UT-CIS hasn't lived up to the promise it's shown so Microsquirt will be used as a supplemental fuel controller. K-Jet will remain (for a bit longer) with the MSD-6 BTM handling ignition duties.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #58
Lord Tentacle
Anime Lord

why a microsquirt over a MS3?
Tentacle Wagon-91 940; stuff including paddles and Holset etc... powered by Corn
Tentacle SUV 12 xc90; stuff including v8 and towbar etc... Powered by Beetroot

recently crushed Volvo's
1990 244, 99 v70 t5, 98 v70 t5, 2002 s80 t6, 98 940s
Lord Tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #59
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tentacle View Post
why a microsquirt over a MS3?
Cheaper and all I need to use it as a extra injector controller. It also provides a point of entry for learning MS. I have a 7 series with an engine, turbo, trans, and other bits ready to go once I'm done with the wagon. I want it to be a full MS3 build.

Another reason I'm waiting is because I want a can bus setup for that car and I'm hoping buy the time I jump into the 7, CAN BUS will have a matured a little for MS.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #60
BDKR
Section 9

We have clearance! 235's on 18x8.5's. That's an inch from the bump stops with no rubbing so I think we're good.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #61
BDKR
Section 9

Duh!!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #62
BDKR
Section 9

Egads!!!! Spring perches are on the way!

Also tracked down a solution for piping between the fuel distributor and the compressor inlet.

Now I can run 4" straight to the turbo!

Last edited by BDKR; 12-02-2014 at 11:46 PM..
Old 12-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #63
Sharingan 19
Board Member

Any pics of where the cuts were to clearance the wheel wells? That looks like a must for decent rear fitment.
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #64
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharingan 19 View Post
Any pics of where the cuts were to clearance the wheel wells? That looks like a must for decent rear fitment.
I think so. Let me take a look.

But in the meantime, check out this link.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=272410
Old 12-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #65
BDKR
Section 9

I guess I'll be installing these tonight.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #66
Lord Tentacle
Anime Lord

lols at working out of a storage unit...

Sorry if I missed it... but what Diff?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #67
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
lols at working out of a storage unit...
That's what comes of not having a garage.

But at least I can make as much noise as I want and I've a bench and tons of other crap in there too.

Quote:
Sorry if I missed it... but what Diff?
You know, I haven't thought about it too much. When Stu built the car he said he was using a new old stock LSD. An OE LSD. He doesn't state exactly what car he got it from but methinks it was a 940. Over where the build is documented (http://www.k-jet.org/articles/archiv...rs-volvo-page/), he says very little about what was done.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #68
BDKR
Section 9

Been busy, but have also gotten things done, or at least started on the car. The recent 854R find has slowed things down just a little, but I'm still in the fight.

Working on the spring perches!

Changed my mind on the turbo again so now I'm going with this.

That's one of the Tryingbe T04E compressor upgrades. As can be seen, that's an AGP 70ar anti-surge housing.

I'm stripping down the Turbonetics Super 60 to rebuild with the above compressor and an AGP ultimate gate.

Got the Wagon Mafia stickers on.

This isn't going to work.

It has the 5" inlet diameter and 4" outlet, which makes it perfect, except for the fact that it's so tall you can no longer close the hood. Back to the drawing board on this one.

The Dan Crandle adjustable rods are now on the car and most of the back end is zipped back up. Need to finish some painting and cleaning then I'll put the rear calipers back on sans the pads. Going to use EBC green stuff but haven't yet ordered them. Need to get on that.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #69
Sharingan 19
Board Member

So you snagged that compressor upgrade! Looks great, how big is the turbine wheel on that super 60? I've got a t04e and a to4b and the difference isn't as great as it seems like in your pics maybe it's that 4" anti-surge inlet?
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #70
Lord Tentacle
Anime Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKR View Post
You know, I haven't thought about it too much. When Stu built the car he said he was using a new old stock LSD. An OE LSD. He doesn't state exactly what car he got it from but methinks it was a 940. Over where the build is documented (http://www.k-jet.org/articles/archiv...rs-volvo-page/), he says very little about what was done.
Get a diff out of the rear of an XJ jeep, rebuild it for $50 with higher rate pre-load
Very stupidly strong Dana 30 Clutch type and it sells for near nothing
Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #71
NChoy
18 bricks and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKR View Post
Well at least something has arrived!

Where'd you get those?

EDIT: Nevermind... I see in the post above this it's from Dan Crandell, whom I suspected. I got an adjustable panhard rod from him. He does good work.

Nick Choy
Founder, Oregon Volvo Tuners
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
'04 S60R, '98 V70R AWD, '93 244DL, '89 245DL, '71 142e, '67 122s

Feedback Thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=20272
NChoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #72
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharingan 19 View Post
So you snagged that compressor upgrade! Looks great, how big is the turbine wheel on that super 60? I've got a t04e and a to4b and the difference isn't as great as it seems like in your pics maybe it's that 4" anti-surge inlet?
I actually bought this upgrade a year ago! However Tryingbe has sold more then one. Did you recently lose a race to the PM's for one of these?

Quote:
Get a diff out of the rear of an XJ jeep, rebuild it for $50 with higher rate pre-load
Very stupidly strong Dana 30 Clutch type and it sells for near nothing
I'll keep that in mind as a future option. Upgrading the transmission is in line before it however.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #73
BDKR
Section 9

For those that said it couldn't be done, it's done. That's the kind of mount I like for the oil pressure sender. The WG just happens to be in the picture.

Repainted valve cover back on.

That's not going to fit.

New toy.

After realizing how restrictive the K-Jet fuel dizzy and airbox is, it had to go!

More K-Jet exorcism.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #74
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Where'd you get those?

EDIT: Nevermind... I see in the post above this it's from Dan Crandell, whom I suspected. I got an adjustable panhard rod from him. He does good work.
Yeah, it's good shizzle! And the on car adjustable stuff beats the IPD offerings by miles!!!!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #75
BDKR
Section 9

Got the new wheels and shaft from G-Pop along with a rebuild kit. They do some damn good work!