• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

97 850 glt NA turbo?

Wicked72

At almost 300k miles my 97 850 glt cracked a sleeve. I have a 94 850 with a good motor. So im planning in using the long block in my glt and keeping all the factory LPT turbo parts. The NA engine having 1.5:1 more compression i would think the factory ecu wouldn't be able to compensate even with high octane. My thought is i could have it tuned to run safely. Has anyone done it and who would be the tuner of choice? Now i have a machine shop that can repair it but by the time its all said and done ill be $600 in the hole and a whole lot of down time.

The NA block won't have any of the ports for the oil feed, turbo drain, etc. in addition to the compression bump. By the time you get it all working right you might as well get another turbo motor.

To find a turbo motor i can literally buy another car for a couple hundred more. Oil and coolant is extremely simple anyone can figure that out. To get it running right all i need is a good tune. IPD has not responded and you just sit on hold until you give up. ARD got back to me today and said they have done a ton of NA turbo tunes and it will work great. Also i got a tune quote from SpeedTuning USA here in MD they say they can tune it just fine. Reviews on either seem to be 50/50. Anyone have experience with either tuner?

To find a turbo motor i can literally buy another car for a couple hundred more. Oil and coolant is extremely simple anyone can figure that out. To get it running right all i need is a good tune. IPD has not responded and you just sit on hold until you give up. ARD got back to me today and said they have done a ton of NA turbo tunes and it will work great. Also i got a tune quote from SpeedTuning USA here in MD they say they can tune it just fine. Reviews on either seem to be 50/50. Anyone have experience with either tuner?

Seems like you came here for advice and not liking the advice you were given, decided that you didn't need any advice after all. That about right?

Back