• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 spoiler install?

Dangerkitty

Bored Member
The "instructions" with the installation kit appear to suggest that 4 sheet metal screws will hold this front air dam on.

I know there are a few of you that have front spoilers on your 140's.
How did you attach it?

I'm considering 8 screws, or maybe 8 rivets or 8 small bolts with lock nuts?

00W0W_1Fk3d4V68za_600x450.jpg

00404_iwWpAHn37bQ_600x450.jpg

00o0o_f49Io1oUgHu_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine second-hand, no instructions or anything, and it had already been drilled. I don't recall how many screws, but I did put backing plates on the fiberglass side of the bolts to spread the load out as well.

I got mine second-hand, no instructions or anything, and it had already been drilled. I don't recall how many screws, but I did put backing plates on the fiberglass side of the bolts to spread the load out as well.

Great point/tip about the backing plates.
Thanks!

Use a little urethane glue on the backing plates or washers.

It will make them MUCH easier to mount, and makes them even more effective. Put a little glue on the backing plate, run a bolt and washer through them, put your nut on and wait 24 hours. I always did this on spoilers and air dams on the race cars, and it worked great.

Remove the bolts and you are done.

Dave Riedle

Use a little urethane glue on the backing plates or washers.

It will make them MUCH easier to mount, and makes them even more effective. Put a little glue on the backing plate, run a bolt and washer through them, put your nut on and wait 24 hours. I always did this on spoilers and air dams on the race cars, and it worked great.

Remove the bolts and you are done.

Dave Riedle

That reminds me about when we used to shape an 1/8 thick by 1/2 wide aluminum strip along the length of the top outside of the spoiler, rubber back it, and use it to distribute the load while also stiffening the spoiler. It also worked well as a template for drilling holes in extra spoilers.

I like your idea, are you saying that the glue holds the backing plates to the spoiler?
Better than double back tape?

I'm also going to be using a rubber strip along the top edge of the spoiler (shown in above photos) and would like to be able to reuse it.
I think glue might mess that up.

I will use some aluminum strips along the outside along where the mounting bolts will be.

Last edited:
If it's for a street car, the fender welting from a VW Beetle works well, and give it a nice finished look.

I have used both double-sided urethane tape. Unfortunately, the only stuff that seems to work is a bit thicker, and doesn't hold well.

I often would use stainless fender washers, and simply grind off a chunk at the top of the spoiler. Also, the stainless washers were thinner than standard steel fender washers, and you don't have to paint what you grind off.

I have alway had better luck with a thin coat of the urethane glue. Gorilla Glue is the easiest to find. Only get a small container. I have never been able to use a larger container before it hardens. Also, remember that if "foams" (expands) up as it hardens, so use sparingly.

Cool spoiler!

David Riedle

If it's for a street car, the fender welting from a VW Beetle works well, and give it a nice finished look.

I have used both double-sided urethane tape. Unfortunately, the only stuff that seems to work is a bit thicker, and doesn't hold well.

I often would use stainless fender washers, and simply grind off a chunk at the top of the spoiler. Also, the stainless washers were thinner than standard steel fender washers, and you don't have to paint what you grind off.

I have alway had better luck with a thin coat of the urethane glue. Gorilla Glue is the easiest to find. Only get a small container. I have never been able to use a larger container before it hardens. Also, remember that if "foams" (expands) up as it hardens, so use sparingly.

Cool spoiler!

David Riedle

Good ideas. Thanks for the input, its giving me some ideas to think about.

Back