• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 940(740) with 302mm 850 Brakes (Picture Heavy)

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
Ok so first off most all of this info is a copy from this thread.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=156900
Edit, I found the post about it on TB
https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=261539

Thanks again to the OP

But I figured I would put something up here since for the TB Crowd with a bit more pictures.

This is a quick listing of the parts I used and where I got them that allowed me to upgrade from the stock 11"(280mm) Jumbo brakes on the late model 940's to the 11.89" (302mm) rotors and calipers off and 850 (technically V70 iirc).

Parts used
First off I picked up a set of 302mm brackets from IPD for $90. If you know what you are looking for you can find a set in the junkyard.
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/9263/120644-302mm-brake-upgrade-brackets-front-p80-850-s70-v70-c70

Next from Baer Brakes I picked up the 4 spacers needed for $ 2.25 each. Part number 6260124, they are .250" thick and worked perfect for around $14 shipped for the 4 pack. These looked to fit near perfect despite the original post asking for 6.3mm spacers.

Next was longer bolts from McMaster, 94036A835 Class 8.8 Steel Flanged Hex Head Screws, Medium-Strength, M12 x 1.75 mm Thread, 35 mm Long, packs of 10 for $6.28 I am sure you can get any type of bolt this is what I used.

From here I picked up a set of 302mm rotors and stock 850 Calipers from RockAuto. The calipers were 19P1733 (19-P1733) and 19P1732 (19-P1732) at a cost of around $28 each for reman units. The rotors were 12039023 (120.39023) for $38 each. If you really wanted to go cheap again I am sure you could find something in a local junkyard if you look hard enough.

As for pads pretty much pick whatver pads you want.

The actual swap is very easy, took me about 35 min for the second side and a bit longer the first side as I was figuring stuff out. I was able to use the stock length hoses (I had SS lines already). Besides having to Grind out part of the bracket these are straight up bolt on.

First up was the stock Jumbo brakes, the reason I removed them is because one of the calipers was draging on one side so this was the cheapest path for an upgrade.
302mm945_01.jpg

With everything removed I test fit the 302mm brackets to check for cleanance on the abs sensor.
302mm945_04.jpg

302mm945_06.jpg

Here is a picture of the spacers installed
302mm945_05.jpg

302mm945_08.jpg

After a little time on the grinder the bracket should look something like this.
302mm945_07.jpg

A comparison of the rotor sizes,
302mm945_03.jpg

302mm945_11.jpg

302mm945_27.jpg

New rotors and brackets installed showing fit and clearance
302mm945_12.jpg

302mm945_13.jpg

302mm945_16.jpg

302mm945_28.jpg

302mm945_29.jpg

Calipers installed lines in place
302mm945_17.jpg

302mm945_19.jpg

302mm945_20.jpg

302mm945_31.jpg

Calipers installed with Spacers
302mm945_21.jpg

Pictures of the stock 850 caliper brackets next to the 302 Caliper Bracket
302mm945_23.jpg

302mm945_24.jpg

302mm945_25.jpg

302mm945_26.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know that IPD had those abutment brackets (to receive the calipers). I bought mine from SKANDIX in Germany.

As my 940 hasn't yet left the workshop, I don't have any feedback on the performance improvement. I bought Zimmermann sport rotors with the gas venting holes thru them, also 302mm. Went with AKEBONO pads up front based on their excellent reviews. My calipers were rebuilds right off eBay for the 850s (same exact piston diameter as the later 9 series calipers). The biggest advantage of this upgrade is the leverage by mounting the caliper piston at a further radius from the wheel center.

Nicely written up and documented! Some head to head stopping distance data would be a dream.... but not likely on TB.

nice, I'm gonna love this when it comes time for brakes on the 740.

reading the other article answered my question of grinding the mounting brackets! Awesome, thanks again!

Last edited:
Nice writeup, thanks for formalizing this. So there's plenty of length with stock length brake lines? I too have stainless lines and really don't need ARRR brakes, but if this upgrade works well with stock lines then this swap is pretty tempting.

There are xc90 kits out there also, for the size queens.

Details about it?

I have heard about the dvs kit to use the s40 t5 calipers and 320mm rotors and those should work with the same 6.5mm spacers along with thier adapter kit. There are also a few options when it comes to wilwood parts or s60rs. This is a nice quick and easy swap that costs a lot less for new parts that the other kits.

Nice writeup, thanks for formalizing this. So there's plenty of length with stock length brake lines? I too have stainless lines and really don't need ARRR brakes, but if this upgrade works well with stock lines then this swap is pretty tempting.

I do not know about the stock rubber lines, I know my SS lines with the OEM adapter fits and doesn't stretch at full lock. The caliper has a slightly different position of the over over stock so it helps also. I will try to get some pics at full lock. Then again my 235 tires hit the frame rail on full lock also.

Details about it?

I have heard about the dvs kit to use the s40 t5 calipers and 320mm rotors and those should work with the same 6.5mm spacers along with thier adapter kit. There are also a few options when it comes to wilwood parts or s60rs. This is a nice quick and easy swap that costs a lot less for new parts that the other kits.

http://www.dvs.net.au/320conv.html

Here's the link for reference. These are starting to show up in the yards around here, so this looks like an even better/more modern swap, also with lots of pad options, etc.

I do not know about the stock rubber lines, I know my SS lines with the OEM adapter fits and doesn't stretch at full lock. The caliper has a slightly different position of the over over stock so it helps also. I will try to get some pics at full lock. Then again my 235 tires hit the frame rail on full lock also.

Can you measure the length of your brake lines too? Are they IPD lines? If you list your lengths and they are long enough it gives some context to what lengths should work. Thanks!

http://www.dvs.net.au/320conv.html

Here's the link for reference. These are starting to show up in the yards around here, so this looks like an even better/more modern swap, also with lots of pad options, etc.

Interdasting.

Nice write-up. Brings back memories of my 745 turbo.

I installed new 302mm rotors and v70 callipers with police brake pads described in the voloforums article. Bleeded the brake with a brake bleeder kit.

The hardest part was disconnecting the brake lines without braking them. Installation was an easy job.

nice swap.. did that also on my 16v :) brakes like a charm but looks just too OEMish for my taste.. i do like 6pot calipers in red more over this :D

111.89 in rotors? DAMN man! lol (FYI, typo Mike).

For the S40 T5 320's, those are only on the manual C30 and manual AWD S40/V50's. I haven't seen a set in the yards yet, as that is on tap for the V50 as well (auto AWD came with 300's).

Nice writeup Mike!

111.89 in rotors? DAMN man! lol (FYI, typo Mike).

For the S40 T5 320's, those are only on the manual C30 and manual AWD S40/V50's. I haven't seen a set in the yards yet, as that is on tap for the V50 as well (auto AWD came with 300's).

Nice writeup Mike!

They are cheap enough to by new or reman units, I was looking on RockAuto and the prices are really not that bad.

Yeah, that's my plan as well, since they are cheap enough. Looks like a few of the reman's actually come with the adapters for about the same price as well.

We'll be into it around $400 I suspect once everything is said and done, between calipers, pads, lines, rotors, brackets, and cryo on the pads and rotors.

Back