• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bronze washer vs copper ?

LeedomtoFreedom

Stupid question.

Can I use bronze washers in place of copper for oil feed on a banjo fitting.

I know bronze is mainly copper but it's harder so I'm just not sure.

The soft copper is the whole point of using such a washer to seal. When they become hard from loosening and tightening repeatedly they loose their sealing capability and have to be annealed back to a soft condition.

FYI, if you don't want to wait for an online order and if you have a Grainger branch near you, you can order a bag of 25+ Cu washers in whatever size you choose and pickup in store next day.

150Pcs 8 Sizes Copper Metric Sealing Washers Assortment Set $14.99

81K0XuplqrL._SL1500_.jpg

Auto parts store should have an assortment of copper crush washers.
Also, hydraulic hose shops. They have copper, aluminum, and steel washers with a nitrile seal on them (and these are amazing, and everyone should be using them).

Auto parts store should have an assortment of copper crush washers.
The autozone / advance auto parts are not particularly well stocked. I think I paid $6.99 for an assortment of (over-priced) washers of various material. None of them were quite right for my drain plug, so I waited for an order to arrive from FCP and used one that cost 60 cents? and fit. Returned the $7 assortment.

Recently I needed a crush washer for a C30 drain plug, went to the dealer...parts guy gave me ~8 of them for free. :nod:

Back