• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Warm Stall, Going Over Bump Stall Issue Resolved...I Think

petebee

Okay so I've been chasing a warm stall issue with my son's 93 240, where after the car is fully warmed up it will act funky and stall when selecting reverse. It will also try to stall sometimes (throw a CEL) when you hit a big bump or go over something line RR tracks.

Well I originally tried to solve this by cleaning up grounds, fuse block, fp relay, testing fuel pump w/paper clip jumper, etc. So as the start of school loomed in the fall, in the interest of time I took the car to Lakeview Motors, a Volvo/VW repair and salvage yard in Charlotte.

They diagnosed the issue as two things - a worn intake boot downstream from the AMM and the crank position sensor. Worn engine mounts had caused a wear hole in the boot from the hard brake lines on the drivers side inner fender. Seemed reasonable so I had them replace both things as well as engine and trans mounts.

Car ran fine for a while then the issue started up again. I've done a bunch more testing of stuff (jumpered fuel pump fuse with an inline fuse...fuse holder and fuse were scorched in the panel, jy AMM, jy ECU) and nothing seemed to work. I know throwing parts is not the ideal method, but everything was cheap.

So last night I did some searching on the Brickboard, specifically for "stalling in reverse". Three things seemed to pop up:

Dirty connection at AMM
Bad connection or unit at CPS
Back up light fuse

So I drove the car until good and hot. Tried to get it to stall in reverse or stumble over a bump but it wouldn't. Then I figured I'd mess around with the in bay connections. Wiggled on the the AMM connector and nothing happened. Wiggled the CPS connector/wire and ta-da, when I wiggled the wire towards the passenger side the car stalled. Tried it again and bingo stalled again.

Pulled out the CRC electrical cleaner and some Deoxit and cleaned up the connector. Started car again and bam...stalled again.

So my conclusion is the CPS has flaked out. I remember the PO mentioning he had similar issue with stalling over bumps and a new CPS would fix the issue. So...is there something that might cause my car the eat these units, or could it be a crappy non-OEM replacement part (I know that the shop used URO engine mounts as they claimed that was all they could get).

Thoughts? Should I just order up another CPS and pop it in? I don't feel like dealing with the shop as they are not local to me and I'd rather just get the car fixed.

Back