• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Brake Caliper/Line Troubles

XxJenoxX

Skin Suit
Henlo frenz.

'92 240 wagon w/ABS.
Ok, so I went to do my rear pads only to discover that the driver's side had one with full material and another that was nearly gone. Seized caliper party, woo! I've tried everything to get it unstuck, and it's not going to move freely without a rebuild, at best. It'll move and then just get stuck again. Fortunately, with a sliver of pad in the seized piston location, it doesn't bind up...it just doesn't do a good job. Pulled one off the sedan...torn boot, but it moves very nicely. Temporary solution, at least.

However, the line will not come off the existing caliper. No way, no how, without screwing it up so bad that I can't guarantee a good seal to the replacement. Tried flare nut wrenches, vise grips...all it does is chew up and round. It DOES come off nice and easy at the junction block. Had it off last night, still no luck freeing the caliper or the line. Stupidly, I did not expect this to be such a pain in my ass, so I cut the replacement from the sedan. Should have just removed it at the junction block, too. :doh:

I'm looking to buy pre-flared line, so I was hoping you guys could tell me what length/fitting size/flare I need. Euro bubble flare, correct? I was just gonna buy a couple lengths to allow for screwups and bend it myself. It's the driver's side rear short line from the junction block to the caliper.

I'm really down on time (and might not be able to do this myself at all if it rains for the next couple days...no chance of putting my car in the air in a mud driveway, even with wood blocks) so it would be rad if you guys have some specifics that would make this as cheap and simply as possible for me.

Important part highlighted because I know I'm long-winded as f7ck. :lol:

You did use liberal amounts of PB Blaster on the nut, yes? Not recommended but it has worked for me is to apply some heat to the nut. I keep a small plumbers torch on hand. If you chewed up the nut you may need to go down in size or try to fit a SAE flare wrench on there. No info on the flare but it is some weird double bubble not available local euro bull**** good luck finding it flare. GL

Tried everything but the torch, as I don't have one. It's chewed to sh1t and I don't want to back myself into a corner getting it off and being unable to put anything back on there. Moving on to a new line.

They have a lot of different lengths. If you have a Pep Boys, O'Reilly's , or any other auto parts store, I would call around first to see what stores have your approximate length. You may have to also buy or rent a brake line bending tool if you don't already have one--I got a cheap one at Harbor Freight that works well to bend those impossible angles. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to replace the lines!

Had to do both rear lines on my 92 240 with ABS, AutoZone lines worked well. Don't love that they're steel but they worked. Just make sure you tighten-loosen-tighten more when tightening down the new flares so they don't leak.

Also going forward, buy a torch

Had to do both rear lines on my 92 240 with ABS, AutoZone lines worked well. Don't love that they're steel but they worked. Just make sure you tighten-loosen-tighten more when tightening down the new flares so they don't leak.

Also going forward, buy a torch

Did AutoZone have the correct bubble flare?

I don't suppooooooose anyone is close enough to their car to measure the straight distance from the top of the pumpkin to the caliper for me, eh? :please:

I wanna reserve my parts at Advance and get my damn 15% off.

Back