• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adjusting a 240 Sedan Trunk Lid

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
Does the absurdly drawn (designers, not engineers) trunk shock have to be removed to level / adjust the deck lid?

I cannot get the one side that was high to level (and now also is too far back) and I think that stupid piston is the reason.

Just wunnerin before I start blasting.

TIA

This was on an 88. I know there's a special tool to crank them down in a vise and another to hold them compressed :roll: A simple hole that could have been used (like on a timing belt tensioner) would have worked nice, but wouldn't have sold any of their stupid tools. Now I get to figure out how to get these back in after paint since these oh-so-special tools are NLA. Doubtful any engineer was used in the making of it. Another Volvo nuance designed by Satan.

From what I recall seeing in the books it is basically a shallow U shaped bracket that has slots on the ends that come up so the thicker part of the shock goes against the end of the bracket and the eye sticks of the slot so you can install them.

Jack had the compressor.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=324352

TrunkSpringTools.jpg

I have compressed them and used mechanic's wire to tie them in the compressed position just like a gas strut is shipped. Put them in place from inside the trunk while someone "you trust" closes the lid, cut the wire, open the trunk lid. Unwrap the wire from the strut body. Think of how you safety wire a bunch of fasteners that are in close proximity and you'll figure out how to make this work.

:nod: Without the tools, that's pretty much the only way to do it. Just be careful, use good quality wire (I use stainless steel safety wire) and tie the ends so they can't come undone. If you have the spring type strut and the tie wire comes off before the strut is in place it will explode if the strut snaps open. The body is plastic and the shock from hitting the internal stop will cause it to break and the springs will fly out at high speed. Also, if you over compress the spring type you can break them.

I got them out in minutes.....using gorilla tape and a moving blanket. Closed it halfway and put 2 strips lengthwise (it will shred even gorilla tape like a wet paper towel) then 1 wrap around each end. A moving blanket to play catcher when I (quickly) open the lid. Only has to hold a second. Without the blanket I shot one about 60 feet into the back yard. They really went all out dreaming / drawing this 'design'.

I compressed one with a large c-clamp.....but do wish I had the clamp thing to hold it. When trying to remove them I used 14, 12 and 10 gauge and it broke all of it. Will do the safety wire thing when its time to re-assemble. Last one of these stupid things that will ever be in this driveway.

Tool.jpg

Got them back in...this made it easier but still not without a fight. Got to be one of the dumbest arse designed setups in Volvo's endless dumbarse design file.

Back