• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 SE drift car project

Sooo,picked up a little cheap 1991 940 turbo redblock
It's currently my third volvo
First redblock
I have owned a 97 850 t5 and a 96 960
Loved them and cant wait to bond with this little brick I picked up but I have some new issues
It's got a good ole m46 swap and a welded 240 diff I believe is what he told me me when I bought it

List of issues I'm having trouble addressing

The temp gauge sticks straight up idk if it's just rigged to read that way or what but idk if its correct

Speedometer isn't working, everything else does like tach and gas,has aftermarket boost gauge so I'm not worried about that

Overdrive , was a little confused on how the overdrive works I have a harness he gave me and just said it needs to be put on so I can have a fifth gear but idk where it plugs into I know I have to put a switch on it but if I do it wrong I know it'll destroy the whole trans I've seen the plates ipd makes for the solenoid deletes but I think that's just for the automatics but I could be wrong

Its straight piped and backfires like a angry father shooting at the boy he found in his daughter's room the night before, fine with it but would like a good recommendation on muffler, I'm in the military and going on base is going to be a hastle with a loud ass pipe but would still like to hear the turbo sounds

Good recommendation of bucket seats? I have a off brand (looks like a skyline seat) and a fixed spaco I've used NRG before but I'm still on the fence if I'm going to put a bar or what in the back because the back seats removed already and so are the seat belts so I'm not sure if I wanna try and replace then yet or not
Just something comfy without breaking the bank

Still have alot of work like cleaning and detailing I plan on sanding it down and painting it,not sure on green or dark purple
She runs good though that all that matters
Thanks for the help

DNA Speedometers can fix the speedo issue, it's about $300 or so

Temp gauge, does it stick straight up when the engine is cold? Replace sensor in block. If it still does it, have it fixed in the gauge cluster by the above company. If it happens when it is warmed up, you can measure the temp with any modern multimeter, infrared pyrometer, aftermarket gauge etc, and see if it is a real problem. Fans come on? Thermostat ok? Etc.

Overdrive switch should be a button on the shifter knob. If you don't have that, the PO rigged up some kind of crap that requires further info.

Muffler...I like Cherry Bomb Vortex, just do not use a baffled or "turbo" muffler on the car

Welded diff = :-(

I'm sure guys will have a bunch more to add to this

Any other way around the speedo issue not trying to spend 300 lol

Od has no switch anywhere they never wired it after the swap I just have a harness and no idea where to plug the 3 sides in

Any nicer mufflers besides cherry bomb lol

That is a nice muffler. You could always spend 8 times more on a Borla though. Any muffler built like that, straight through perforated tube. Like Magnaflow or Dynomax better? They all make the same type of full size mufflers, except the Vortex is made of thicker metal. I have used all of them, including Borla. Cherry bomb is the best for the price.
https://www.summitracing.com/search...ers?tw=cherry &sw=Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers
Look at the design.

Find a used working speedo then, they are year specific. Unless you are good at repairing circuit boards, you aren't fixing it yourself. Could try replacing the sender but that is probably not the problem. The guy that bought my rebuilt speedo didn't want to spend it either, after several months of looking he ended up buying it. Have to pay to play sometimes.

The proper way to fix the OD situation is get the correct shift lever for your car. Or look at a wiring diagram and rig a button on the dash. I don't know which wires would go where.

I had had the Corbeau FX1 seats in my car for a while.

not super expensive and pretty comfortable, might want to check the regulations of your local track though if you plan to take it there

Any ideas as far as seats?

Fixed back and side mounts are what you want. Hit up CL or FB marketplace for a used seat. I wouldn't pay over $200 for anything used unless it's in like new condition.
Cobra, corbeau, racetech, omp... there are a ton of others. NRG and Bride seats will cost more for less features, but that's how you stay cool in drifting apparently.

You can also get an aluminum seat, like a Kirkey.

UPDATE

so speedometer has been narrowed down to a loose screw behind the speedo and I believe this is the issue

Slapping new brakes and rotors all around

Ended up just deciding to keep my space spirit seat and just get some patches and some lumbar support and have it dyed black to match the interior

Got a megnaflow oval that should arriving next week

Waiting on the car to come back from maaco and tint job should be done next week

Back