• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 M47 wont go into gear

peacereef

Okay I went to look at 1989 245 for a friend this morning. it has 190xxx miles on it. beat up, rust on all the doors. rear bumper is falling off since the metal behind the plastic rusted through. 3rd brake light broke, plate lights are broke. cruise control not working. recently put new tires on the car. new exhaust system and brakes as well. it has a m47 with a clutch cable. over all this car needs a lot of love. he is asking 400 basically for the "good parts" now here is the problem. the car starts and runs fine and dandy. but the transmission wont go into gear. I slid underneath the car checked out the clutch cable, that is nice and taught. I had the guy press the clutch. the cable pulls the shift fork and everything seems to work like it is supposed to. But the car still wont go into gear. there is no way to put the car into gear, it feels like it doesn't want to mesh right. any one had this problem before?

will it go into gear when the engine is off?

sounds to me like a broken clutch fork or pivot ball, maybe even just a clutch in need of replacement.

will it go into gear when the engine is off?

sounds to me like a broken clutch fork or pivot ball, maybe even just a clutch in need of replacement.

no matter what you can not get the transmission into any gears. I didn't notice any "play" with the clutch fork when I slid under the car. but than again I am not sure if I would feel any "play"

"....it has 190xxx miles on it. beat up, rust on all the doors. rear bumper is falling off since the metal behind the plastic rusted through. 3rd brake light broke, plate lights are broke. cruise control not working....."

But other than that, its showroom. :lol:

Sounds like the dog that answers to the name of "Lucky". :-P

Sounds like internal issues.....add "tranny broke" to the list of attributes.

But other than that, its showroom. :lol:

Sounds like the dog that answers to the name of "Lucky". :-P

Sounds like internal issues.....add "tranny broke" to the list of attributes.

yeah it is a no go. my buddy is trying to get a decent winter beater for 400:wtf: he wants to park his "nice" car. a 99 dodge avenger :rofl:

When my M47 wouldn't do 1st or 2nd, it was the metal spring clip that holds the clutch fork on the pivot ball. Everything was still tight, but the pressure of the clutch fork moving spread the spring clip around the pivot ball and wouldn't move the clutch fork all the way which wouldn't let the clutch engage fully. Unfortuantely, to check this you have to drop the tranny.

Back