• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T4 badging

lambie

Just bought an 83 240 Turbo GT.
Can anyone one tell me what the T4 designation with blue,silver and white stripes means? It's on the trunk and both front wheel wells. As far as I can tell it has the regular BF21 engine. Also the car has different headlights than other 83 240s.
I am big on enthusiasm but little on knowlege and experience. Please bear with my tedious questions.

Simon

There werent GT's made by volvo in 83 and no GT's were ever turbo. So you need to double check what you bought sir. There is probably more badge changing then just the "T4"

All badging and specs are original
The car is definately a turbo and the component package is identical as far as I can tell to an 83 242 GT

Will do more research

Cheers

[quote:8416eac525]there is a GLT or TURBO but no GT I think[/quote:8416eac525]

the GLT is the turbo model. theres a GL, GLT, DL

swedespeed said:
[quote:9a07e27d28]there is a GLT or TURBO but no GT I think

the GLT is the turbo model. theres a GL, GLT, DL[/quote:9a07e27d28]

Not always... Every GLT in Europe has no turbo from the factory... :wink:

really? so the turbos are really a GLT TURBO? when i was working with the insurance company they have all the GLT's as "turbos" in 1983. Maybe a europian thing?

anyone have a GLT non-turbo car?

Yes, there were non turbo GLT's. In fact I know there were in the US as well, as the Road and Track Buyers Guide explains that a 2 door non turbo GLT existed.

In Canada, I have seen both 2 door and wagon B23E powered GLT's. They actually have 136 hp vs 127 of the early non-intercooled turbo, though they are somewhat dogs, as they have no bottom end power.

there definitely were not any turbo GT's from the factory though.

swedespeed said:
really? so the turbos are really a GLT TURBO? when i was working with the insurance company they have all the GLT's as "turbos" in 1983. Maybe a europian thing?

anyone have a GLT non-turbo car?

You know about the n/a '81-'82 GLT in North America, right? B21 in the US and B23E in Canada. By '83 in the US they all became Turbo, but for example the UK got n/a GLT's, but that doesn't say much since they never got the Turbo.

The last one I saw was an '82 242 GLT with the B21F-MPG LH 1.0, for sale in MA. It was just begging for a swap because it sucks to have LH1.0 and only about 105hp.

All badging and specs are original
The car is definately a turbo and the component package is identical as far as I can tell to an 83 242 GT

Again there NEVER was a turbo GT ever created. They never produced GT's in 83. All badging is NOT orginal.

For example in Finland and Sweden Volvo 240 GLT was available only with B23E or B27/B28E engines and late model GLT:s had B230E or B230F engines. In 1981 came Turbo and that was just the Turbo. GLT was available before the Turbo in 1980 and maybe some 1979 models were sold in Sweden.

In Finland the Turbo was never available with limited slip differerential but the GLT was. Turbos and GLT:s looked like each other, they had same sway bars etc. from the 1981 model. The Turbo was available with pearl grey/black interior but I haven't seen any GLT:s with that interior.

54358910.jpg

Turbo pearl grey/black interior

3d258920.jpg

1981 Turbo

IMG_1834.JPG

1981 GLT, looks like Turbo but has a B23E engine and GLT-badges

1980 model is the most powerful GLT (of 4 cyl engine GLT:s). It had the legendary B23E with 405 head and H-cam, exactly the same engine that 242 GT in 1979. 140 horsepower and 191 Nm (141 lbf-ft) torque.

6f758910.jpg

1980 GLT:s engine bay, B23E

I must admit that European and North American GLT:s and Turbos were very different cars. North american Turbo had less horsepower and torque (European Turbo equipped with B21ET and IC had 180 horsepower. European GLT was never available with weak B21F engine but GLT didn't have turbos here though. Only B23/B230/B27/B28 n/a engines.

Here is an American GLT advertisment for comparision from the year of 1981:

sivu027.jpg

Is that really true you couldn?t have turbo with differential lock? I had once 240 turbo with differential lock.. well maybe somebody had dump it there afterwards.

Thanks for all the imput...even from the authority with attitude...lighten up buddy... anyways I got lots of info to put to Volvo Canada. It is an 83 GLT Turbo and Volvo is researching the T4 badging...the rep I spoke to on the phone says it was original but he doesn't know what it means...he is doing research and will have an answer for me in a week or so. If anyone is interested I could send pictures to your email.
Thanks again

T4 is a turbo type.. like B230 has T03 Garret. T4 is a s/v 40 turbo car, s80, etc. You also have T5.
There is no 240 with standard T4 badges.

The B230ET has high pressure turbo, while the ft's have low pressure turbo's. The ET has also intercooler, which I dont know if FT has.

B230ET has 186hp vs. 156(?) in B230FT. The B230FT on the other hand has lower compression and would therefore be easy to tune?

And to the GLT/Turbo mambojambo:
Alot of people think that GLT is a GL + turbo, while it's not like that at all!
L = luxus, DL = DeLuxe, GL = Grand Luxus, GLE = Grand Luxus Executive, GLT = Grand Luxus Touring.
GLT took over for 260 series in 1983, the same year that volvo stopped production of 260/242. They also started naming theire cars 240, instead of 244, 245.

In other words: 260 was the luxury car that volvo offered, but in 83', they changed naming to 240 for all models. That's why they got 240GLT (Grand Luxury Touring) instead of 260.

The GLT had the B230E in Europe. It also had all the luxury equiptment that the 260 had. eg. all electrical, sunroof, etc. Not all GLT's/260's had leather interior.

Also: Differential brake was never standard on regular 240 series, it was up to the buyer to buy it as extra equiptment. I think that in some years, it was standard in the 260's. I dont know if 240GLT had it as standard, or if the buyer had to buy it as extra equiptment.

Also.. GT: The GT was a jubileum model.

Other special models: 240 Classic (I think in 1993?)

The GT had some extra chassis stiffening which one can buy from www.ipdusa.com (aftermarket) I know I will..
ps. GLT / 260 has 5mm more space between the wheels of the car. (track width is the word?) It also has the big nose hood. (not the same as GL's, it's even bigger)

Back